Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 05:11 AM   #1

Just installed rear speakers

I know this has been previously discussed on the forum, but for those who are new, seriously considering installing the rear speaker system for the plastic storage unit behind the seats. I paid about $180.00 on-line for the speakers and about $130.00 to get them installed at a local car audio store in Tampa.

What a difference! The quality of the sound is much better and most importantly, I can hear my music with the top down without making the sound too loud and distorting the music. Essentially, you have a speaker located behind your ears.

Best investment I have made for the Boxster.

Eric

E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I just installed them over the weekend, it wasn't to hard to do myself. It does make a significant difference in the overall sound of the stereo. Did you hook them up to the amp or head unit?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #3

When I installed my rear speakers (the upgraded ones from PnP) I hooked them up to the head unit initially and was pleased with the improvement in sound. I then found a 6 channel amp out of a 996 and installed it and hooked the speakers up to the amp (PnP sent me the harness and instructions to do hook them up to the amp. Since I had bought their speaker kit, they sent the harness and instructions to me free!).

The difference between running them from the head unit vs. running them from the amp was remarkable. Still not an overwhelming improvement, but it really woke up the sound. The extra power from the amp was just what it needed. Still not to the level I was searching for, but I can live with it until I decide to change out the head unit and amp.

I've upgraded to the high end Porsche speakers (MB Quart units) and this provided a much cleaner sound over the stock Porsche speakers.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #4

I think the installer hooked up the door and dash speakers to the amp and the new rear speakers to the head unit. I have a pioneer to replace the original stereo.

Eric
Old 06-27-2008, 01:27 PM   #5

Sounds Great!

Well I´m all new to this forum, just bought my first Boxster today. It´s a -99 with a totally original Stereo in it, no speakers in the doors or anything.......and EVERYTHING feels great about the car......except for the awful stereo =((

I just traded in my BMW 523 Touring with MB-Quart speakers, Sub and everything...and I feel that I really have to do something here......

So what should my first thing be (without rebuilding the entire car ;-))
Easy tips please: Change stereo, change speakers, putting speakers in the doors or behind the head??? A sub somewhere??

All suggestions are interesting, Í'd really like links to "do it yourself" -sites or so.....or just tell me what You have done!!

Thanks

MrPegazus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Welcome to the Forum!
Try a search here and on Google. They are a lot of articles on this.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPegazus
So what should my first thing be (without rebuilding the entire car ;-))
Put the equivalent of $2000USD in the bank and don't touch the cash. You'll be using it for repairs in this next year.

If I lived in Sweden, I'd buy a hard top so I could drive it in winter or if it's a summer car only, I'd buy a glass window replacement top to make it an in-car affair to drop the top.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #8

If you want to see how far you can go on the "ridiculous" side of things...search for the posts concerning my install

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #9

For a total of about $650.00, I changed took out the original unit and replaced it with a pioneer unit with IPOD connection, XM radio and a USB connection. Also added the rear speaker system to the rear storage unit. This price included all installation. Best money I have spent on the car so far.

Eric
Old 06-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #10

Wink ...on my way...

Ok, so now I have had a couple of days of searching for options/getting information on forums etc.

I think this is my plan:

1. Install the rear speaker system

2. Install a Sub somewhere (will try with a thin one under the seat)

3. Change the elements in the dash-speakers to better ones

4. Maybe try to install door-speakers......but I´ll wait with that until I have evaluated steps 1-3

Any opinions on this from my new Porsche Friends??
Old 06-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #11

First off - congrats on your new Porsche

Having been down this road.... I'd say your components are correct, but I'd change the order as follows:

1. Install the rear speaker system

2. Change the elements in the dash-speakers to better ones

3. door-speakers...... (whether you do or do not have existing ones - this is a must do) If you install a sub w/out doors, you'll be missing a whole lot of low and lower end mids. Dash (at 4") will really only be upper mids and highs and a sub is well just a sub.

4. Install a Sub somewhere - wait until you have evaluated steps 1-3 b/c no matter where you put it, it's going to take up space that is already at a premium for taller drivers/passengers. Plus, with the right set of door speakers you may not find it all that necessary unless you really like thumpin' bass

YMMV

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 06-30-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #12

Talking

Thanks a Lot Burg & all others!

I will report my progress after my visit to the states next week, where I´ll pick up my rear speaker-system.

Cheers for Now!!