Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 AM   #1

Any 2009 news... I have 2 options

Hi Folks.

I finally drove a Boxster S for the first time this weekend. Previous to these drives, I only have driven the base model, in 2005 and once in 2008. I finally drove the 08 S. PASM, you name it... I have a quote of 9,000.00 off a 2008. I could easily jump into a Boxster now or wait. This dealer told me he gets allotments for 2009's and I can be rollign around in an 09 in September. I won't get the discount of a lifetime, but new headlights/taillights and another 30 HP...

He can't confirm any changes, but told me the car will be an 09...

What do I do? The Boxster on the lot is Meteor Gray with Black/Gray interior. easily a beautiful car. If I had it my way... I'd buy the RS 60 on the floor... The two above options what would you do?

jk335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #2

You'll probably get the better deal with the S they already have on the lot. However, there are some tweaks coming to the 2009 model, some styling changes and DFI. If those are more important to you than money, then you may want to wait.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #3

Fundamentally, the Boxster will always be a sweet ride. I just can't believe there will be such a price descrepancy in just some minor updates.

But then again, the increase in HP and change in design would be cool. The used market on the East Coast is scarce. Not sure if the economy is making people to hold on to their cars while we experience this slump...

Are there any official pictures of the 09. Does anyone know if the interior has been tweaked?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
bmussatti

JK, if the 2009 will have 30 more HP for a total of 295+30=325....I'd wait and pony up the extra ca$h!

FWIW, Meteor Grey is a great color. The RS 60 is very sweet- great options/value.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #5

Here are some pics:

What I meant by getting the car cheaper, is not that the new model will increase in price (though with the weak dollar it probably will), but that dealers may not be giving such agressive discounts on the refreshed models.

I read in this month's Car&Driver that DFI was going to give both the Boxster and Boxster S an increase of 15 horsepower.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:49 AM   #6

"I'd buy the RS 60 on the floor... "

Do it, you are probably going to have this car for some time and nothing is worse than getting the car you bought home and then wishing for the next five years that you had gotten another car like the RS 60.

The RS 60 has great options list which saves you a lot of money if bought separately, it looks great, is a limited edition, has a few more hp, and has a much better sounding exhaust. In my book, if you can afford it, what's to decide.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #7

My next car will be a 2010 base Boxster (or Cayman -- did I admit that?). I want DFI for fuel economy -- but I'd like to skip the first model year for reliability reasons. DFI is a big change.

Tend to agree if you want the RS 60, its a pretty easy decision.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #8

Would the RS 60 be the RS 60 with different wheels. That's one of the only reasons I am not running out and buying that beautiful car. That, and I wonder if they'd ever discount a car. Couln't hurt to ask.

2010? All New? HUH? I though 09 was the tweak... I sure wish an insider could tell me some info. If the 09 is just a carry over, I would spring for an 08 or that sweet rs 60 (and new shoes for it).
Old 05-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk335
Fundamentally, the Boxster will always be a sweet ride. I just can't believe there will be such a price descrepancy in just some minor updates.

But then again, the increase in HP and change in design would be cool. The used market on the East Coast is scarce. Not sure if the economy is making people to hold on to their cars while we experience this slump...

Are there any official pictures of the 09. Does anyone know if the interior has been tweaked?
There are no official '09 pics. Also I hear the '09 Boxsters won't be out until late 4th Q as they don't want to steal the thunder of the HP increase for the 911.

Also, don't be surprised if the '09 prices rise more than a few hundred dollars. The US dollar is down considerably relative to the Euro. Porsche can make a lot more money selling their wares in Europe, especially Eastern Europe and the middle East.

I would go for the bargain '08. The HP difference is not going to be 30, more like 15-20. The fuel economy will get better by a bit but is all that worth a $9-10,000 premium over an '08?
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:53 AM   #10

Renzop,

I am thinking about this very fact right now. Since it's car two, it's goign to be with me for a while. I saw a Guards Red Boxster yesterday moring. we had another 70/sunny day in the Boston Area (which is where I sited it) and it made me so envious/ happy to see such an awesoem car being driven and such a nice day.

It also makes me want to think logn an hard about the right set up. Just so that I make the right decison. I also talked to the dealer and the RS 60 is sticker. No wonder... But the othe rin stock cars are 8,000 less in some cases.

Are LED lights, and headlights, and a little horsepower worth the money. Who knows at this point. If this was 07 I'd not have a worry about it at all...

09 spy photos are so awkwardly taken, I am not sure I LIKE the new look. I guess this is the age all debate, whether to wait or buy on the spot. If I were rich I'd have the S right now...
Old 05-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #11
eqs

jk, I bought the car I wanted now. Cars are like computers in that models are upgraded on a continual basis. You can always wait for the latest and greatest, but you have already felt pain as others go whizzing by w/the top down w/ big smiles on their faces.

If the car or computer for that matter, fit the bill now - then buy it now. Even 2009s or 2010s will be upgraded in 2011 or 2012. This will never stop.

In your heart you know what you want to do, and I doubt that you're going to find much inside info other than what you can easily find elsewhere on the web. 15, LED, DFI yes, interiors, probably not a lot. But these are all but guesses unless P says so.

So it's always just up to you ...... can you wait, or are you going to sign ...... only you can decide. I/we can only tell you if we like our cars or not. For me, I bought a 987S and 15, 30, 50 more horse I wouldn't use anyways. You'd feel more kick, yes, all you have to do is drive a 997S to see, but for my uses, what I have is way plenty. Only if you race your car are you ever going to use even 50% of the capability of that car on the road. Nobody can use that hp on roadways and be anywhere safe.

Cheers and good luck
eqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #12

I'd get the one they have on the lot, a boxster especially an S will never disappoint you and you'll save money...but thats just me talking with my philosophy of never throwing your money away on a brand new car since it depreciates twice as quick new...so I perfer to drive an older car and not lose as much money, and invest in soemthing that'll make my cash grow but thats just me. You do what you feel is right, and depending on if you want to wait so long to get the car...IMO id rather drive mine top down all summer then have to wait

either way good luck and let us know what you decide on

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #13

my advice.......wait.

You'll get a deal on that 09, look for some very aggresive deal making once all the dust settles from what will surely be a bad year for Porsche and all the others in 2008.
What a difference a year makes!
I think I read in Motor Trend that the 09 BoxsterS will have 310 HP.
That's more power than all Standard Carreras ever made up until 2004.
I guess the difficult economic times are forcing Porsche to give the Boxster some 300+ HP territory power to attract sales. Seems like before they could afford to sandbag the Boxster and still make great sales numbers on Cayenne's and Carreras. With $5 gas and the credit market grinding to a halt things for Boxster may me changing. Or they may just do away with Boxster altogether.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:49 AM   #14

Well,

After viewing the 08 S that was on the lot, and seeing the wheels ect, I have decided to hold out for an 09. If by chance I come across a nice used car, I might bite. It just didn't make sense buying this 08 when an 09 is literally 4 months away. yes, I have been aching for a Boxster, but if I waited this long, what's another couple of months. Someone also commented buying a convertible in the winter is sometimes the best deal you can find...