Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2004, 09:35 PM   #1

Greetings~ Newbie 2001 Boxster S

Greetings from So. Cal.

I just bought a 2001 Boxster S today. My boss was selling it cause he got demoted to Maine where it snows alot. It's Seal Grey (I think) with black interior. I heard that new model's coming out beginning of next year, but the price was so good I couldn't pass it to any one else. I still have my '01 IS300 and still trying to get rid of it. Anybody? ^^ I will probably start driving my Boxster starting next week. I still gotta register with DMV and get insured. Can you guys provide me with some basic tips or things to know before I start driving?

Also, Im thinking about purchasing a hardtop and a speedster cover. Anybody got 'em? I saw one with a hardtop while backm and it look pretty sweet. What do you guys think?

'm so happy, I wanna sleep in my new car tonight.

Well, I always wanted to get a Boxster but I don't know anything about it so I will be asking lots of questions from now on.

Thanks for reading~

Jason

Old 11-18-2004, 05:55 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Congrats on the new Boxster. Any pics?

The DMV should have a check-list of everything you need to get the car registered. As far as anything else goes, have you had the car checked out, or talked to the boss for a service history? Its always good to know how you stand in terms of servicing, and the history of the car.

A lot of people have the hard top and the speedster humps, and its really just a matter of taste. If you like em, go for it.

There's a fair amount of information on this site, so you can wander around and read some stuff. Also, there are other great forums out there that you can get into, including www.renntech.org and www.ppbb.com. Just have fun and enjoy the car, and send us pictures and stories.

-Kevin

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 06:39 AM   #3

Jason, I felt the same way... but sleeping in one's Porsche is not comfortable. It's meant for driving, not slumber!

There's a bunch of things you should know about when it comes to your car, and I highly recommend you peruse this website as well as the ones Kevin mentioned. Do a lot of lurking on current threads and read as many archive posts and threads as possible.

What were the first things I needed to know?

1. Extra keys are REALLY expensive. Don't lose them and make your boss find all the ones he's misplaced! Same goes for manuals, which you really do need because the car is not self-explanatory by sitting in it and fiddling with stuff. (ie, the radio controls and the headlight/tail light dial... who knew to pull it out TWICE to get all the fog lights front and back to turn on?)
2. If the center hook-style catch on the top is not fully seated into the hole, the windows won't roll up completely.
3. When lowering the top, open it half way and then insure the window isn't kinked up and bent funny or you'll eventually get a rip in it... VERY expensive to fix.
4. You will also ask about "desnorkeling" the intake and join the sizeable debate as to whether it is a safe move just to get a better growl out of your engine. (search "desnorkel" if you want to learn more).
5. If your check engine light comes on, don't freak out. The non-blinking light can mean a LOT of things, from mass air sensor failure ($800) to a tank of bad gas ($25 if you live in the USA) to things I can't understand concerning the computerized stuff in the car. If it blinks this is certainly cause for alarm. Turn off the ignition immediately and get it checked out.

I must say that the manual for the car is quite helpful and you should read through it carefully while sitting in your car and simultaneously fiddling with or looking at the knob or part in question!

One other thing...

There's a guy who has a screen name of Toolpants on all the lists that knows simply EVERYTHING about our cars. He's badgered all the time for advice, and has been the best friend I have never met! He'll pop in on questions about your car you post and you can rest assured that he knows his stuff.

Hope this helps you. I am forever in debt to this forum and the wonderful help everyone has offered me here.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 11-18-2004 at 07:37 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 06:08 PM   #4

Adding to Randall's list:

6. Someday when you lock your car you will hear it beep - this is almost always because you didn't fully close the locking storage box between the seats.

7. Once you have tried to start the car the starter will not go again until you turn the key to off and then back on. BTW - the key is on the left is a Porsche nod to racing and 'LeMans starts'.

8. Your alarm system will work with the top down if you roll up the windows and install 'the red clip'. The 'red clip' goes into the same position as the top latch and is available from dealers for a couple of bucks.

9. Never operate the top below about 40 degrees (the manual says freezing). You may crack the window.

10. Your car is great fun on the race track! A stock Boxster S can drive to a race track and put on a good show with no performance modifications. Joining your local Porsche Club of America(PCA)A and signing up for Driver's Education track days is one of the best and cheapest ways to enhance your joy of driving.

... and yes Tool Pants rocks
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 06:40 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
ToolPants for president

MrMickeyMouse for vice

The rest of us can be senators, I guess.

I don't know what I'm talking about. Anyway, hopefully all of us have at least relayed that we are happy to hear about new boxster owners, and we hope you have an awesome time driving it. Don't be afraid to ask questions...chances are, one of (probably me) would benefit from hearing the answer.

Cheers

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
Lux

Welcome.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:30 PM   #7

Thanks, my fellow boxster owners.
I feel very welcome here in this forum.
I just got insured today (by Mercury). I listed this baby as my weekend pleasure car, and got a pretty descent deal. Hope I could learn alot more about Boxster through this forum. I will try to post some pix over this weekend.

Thanks guys~

Jason