Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #1

Unhappy Help, I'm locked out.

Summer is here at last, and I'm trying to get my boxster out of my garage. Trouble is that the battery is completely dead. Car is a '97 Boxster. When I open the door lock with the key, there is not enough power for the window to drop the required centimetre or so for the door to open. I therefore cannot get to the 12V cigarette lighter to put power into the battery or to the bonnet release, as I cannot get into the car. Help urgently required! Any ideas?
Ian.

Ian Dublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #2

There's a hidden hood opener behind the passenger side fender. A simple search will take you to some pictures and a how-to.
thanh510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanh510
There's a hidden hood opener behind the passenger side fender. A simple search will take you to some pictures and a how-to.
Thanks, but won't I need to be able to release the catch in the car to operate the manual hood release?
Old 05-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #4

Here is a link to the Porsche Club Great Britain where we just discussed this subject.

http://www.porscheclubgbforum.com/tm.asp?m=364006

I do not know if the link will work if you are not registered on the site.

If you have a RHD then the emergency release cable for the bonnet is on the left or passenger side for your year.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #5

Thanks for you help with this. I am not a member of the Porsche Club GB, but have registered to join. This does not appear to be an instant membership, so I guess I will have to wait to follow up on the link you kindly sent. Thanks again, and any other advice will be gratefully received. It was such a fantastic day here, I was furious not to be able to take the car out!!
Ian.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #6

You should be able to register on the PCGB message board as a non-member of the club. I am in Califorina, so obviously I am not a PCGB member.

Somehow I was able to register for the message board many years ago, or someone registered me. Must have thought I was a Tank instead of a Yank. Back then you had to be a member of PCGB, so someone did something to let me join the message board as a non-member.

Mark Bennett is in charge of the Boxster section. There are pictures and tips to get you going, and tricks on how not to find yourself in this situation again. The PCGB site is good for RHD owners as there are differences between a LHD and RHD cars. Richard Hamilton in the 996 section is also very knowledgeable.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #7

Thanks again. I found some notes on another site that refers to access to the hood release cable via wheel arch. I went out to take a look, but it's a little dark right now, so I will have another go tomorrow.