Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2004, 02:23 PM   #1

Best time to buy?

Hi Everyone,
I am looking to buy a Boxster in the next year.Whenever I see a great deal.I am chacking autotrader.com and ebay every day.I live in New Jersey but don't mind traveling to Pensylvania or New York City for a good deal.I am thinking about a used fromm 99-2001.When is the best time of year to buy,like which month?

I was also wondering about doing mantienance my self.I see the engine is a mid and looks like you can only access it from the bottom which is a little bother but worth it for such a nice car.I am handy and do all my car repairs,oil changes,etc myself.Do you know of any site that explains how to do an oil change on the Boxster?

Thanks everyone.
I am glad I found this site.
Frank

Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 03:10 PM   #2

For changing the oil:
http://www.986faq.com/7-0/oil.asp

There is a lot of good information on that website. You can get to the engine from the top too, there are special instructions on how to do that.

They always say winter months are better to buy convertibles, but I don't agree with that statement. Then again, I live in San Diego and the weather is pretty nice year round. If you are really looking to get the best possible deal, it's more luck than anything else, and knowing what you want. I got what I consider an extremely good deal on mine, and I bought it in the month of August. I really don't think that Ebay has the best deals, it is just enticing to see a low starting price, and it causes people to bid up things the last few minutes/seconds before an auction ends. In 99 they made the gas tank bigger, in 2000 they made the base engine more powerful and introduced the S.

Welcome to the site, and good luck finding your Boxster!

Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 03:15 PM   #3

Thanks,
That site looks good.Where do you think is the best to look for a great deal?
Thanks
Old 10-29-2004, 01:59 AM   #4
porsche986

I would say buy december the 19th or january 10th when people need extra cash for christmas and the new year. I know its playing on people misfortune but who cares

people wont mind comming down in price for a quick sale at those times

good luck mate
Old 10-29-2004, 02:12 AM   #5

Wow,I didn't think of that.That sounds like a good idea to me.At first I was thinking in the line of with the winter,people won't be wanting convertables as much but how late in the winter will people start thinking about the summer and driving prices up.But,now that you saw that,I think before christmas is a great time.Hey,I'm actually helping the people out.lol.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:58 AM   #6

P986.. I think you got the wrong group?! In this country when the average family has $8,000USD on the Visa, I suspect the folks with a Boxster have a lot more credit...and dont' need coal money the day after Xmas.

In the central and northern parts of the country - Winter is a serious item. That convertible top looks pretty useless, but those pesky dealers have been thru it before...

Frank: Don't you dare look at the cars I'm looking at! ....I hope you find a great one.

cheers.

Jim
wetsuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:50 AM   #7

Frank: If you haven't seen this site: http://www.industryfigure.com/berkeley/Porsche/Options/OptionsMatrix.htm ....ton's of info on the earlier cars.

Jim
Old 10-29-2004, 01:02 PM   #8

I don't know that it makes whole lot of difference in terms of price.
I would say that you will have a bigger selection of Boxsters for sale during the spring and summer.
Buying in the winter, you may save a few bucks, but the selection will be smaller.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:53 AM   #9

Ronzi: A broker told me that most leases are written for sportscars in the Spring/Summer..which means that is also when they're released in volume. ...but it only takes 'one', Cheers.

Jim
Old 11-02-2004, 07:32 AM   #10
porsche986

If i was in the market for a second hand boxster i would not even look at a lease car, its been hammered, high miles, lots of drivers... no way!

If you want a boxster get it from a garage where you have some kind of comeback, Buying a lease car has no or little warranty EVERYTHING is fair wear and tear, trust me stay away from ex hire/ lease cars
Old 11-02-2004, 09:44 AM   #11

Generally I would agree with you about lease cars, i.e., avoid them.
When I bought my '99, I ignored my own rule and bought a car that had a lease history. Fortunately this has been OK, as the car has turned out to be in extraordinary condition both mechanically and cosmetically.
A "hire", or as we call them here in the US, "rental" car is another situation entirely. I would absolutely stay away from it, unless it was ultra-cheap and I could afford to take a chance on it, or wanted to turn it into a track-only beater.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:43 AM   #12

....my thoughts the same.

P986: I don't ever think I've seen a Porsche in a Hertz Rental lot... In fact, I'll bet the bulk of 'new purchases' are in fact leases because they're given favored tax advantages in the US...typically taken advantage of by people not buying lowend Toyotas.

Jim

In real estate we say: "Location..location...location". I suspect a corollary for cars is: "Condition..condition..condition".

...and in my short search, I'd add: "Packages." for the boxster. This car seems to be somewhat haphazardly optioned. I have seen very few listing for cars that seemed obviously 'special ordered' by individuals.

Mercedes in Canada, where I bought my last car, has two basic option packages, with a very limited list of gold plating. ...and forget buying P's in Canada, they've kited the list to where the USD advantage has no effect.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:26 AM   #13

Last spring before I bought my car, I saw a Boxster on E-bay that was reputed to be the most expensive Box ever imported into the US. It had EVERY available option, and had an original MSRP of over $85,000(US).
You could probably find the listing if you hacked around in E-bay long enough. A Speed Yellow car from NY, as I recall.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:20 AM   #14
porsche986

yes ronzi i think i saw that boxster did it have color cameras built into the front bumpers. It looked stunning...
Old 11-05-2004, 05:55 PM   #15

Frank, the 2005 boxster will hit showrooms in January. Previous models will be less expensive because the lookers all want the latest body style.

I bet that you'll have lots of nice used boxsters to look at in March of next year. BTW, be careful on Ebay. Bought mine from a wholesaler in FL and wish I had paid a mechanic to go check it out BEFORE I flew there and test drove it. The instrument cluster had broken LCD's, and the tranny is shot. Did have a new engine though.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 05:17 AM   #16

Yes,I hear the boxster 987 will start production in January/February 2005. I looked at the video and info at porsche.com but like the boxster 986 better (and car afford a used one).So,I was thinking the 986s may drop price in March or do you think late?Please give me your input.
Frank
Old 11-14-2004, 06:13 AM   #17
porsche986

Boxster are very cheap now in the United States, any cheaper they will be free.
I agree i like the 986 better however i passed a new 997 today who was getting tailgated by a 996 turbo.. it looked good. anyways he flashed and waved so i am thinking this guy must have had a porsche to understand the code

anyways it looked stunning! I have seen the 997 in the showroom but they look so much better on public road.

good luck with your search, just wish we had thoses prices here!

Last edited by porsche986; 11-14-2004 at 06:15 AM.