Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I consider myself pretty lucky to have gotten this spot yesterday. Today I ended up having to park between two huge trucks.

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #22

Wink

Nice lookin' car LB.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #23

I agree with 70Sixter - far away and always uphill. Another tactic is to park next to other upscale German cars, at least there is some level of respect for another's property.
Much to my SO's chagrin I have been known to turn down a restaurant if there are no "acceptable" parking spaces - "But Honey - it's a Porsche!". Her response is invariably: If you call and cancel the reservation they appreciate it and don't hold it against you next time.

People are animals, but fortunately there is the Dent Wizard. The guy I used when I had the Miata really is a wizard.
CT986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:40 AM   #24

I used to drive & park the boxster everywhere... never really thought about it, until I came out to the car parked in the Ybor city parking garage & it had a brick in the windshield. now the boxster stays in the garage & I drive my 87 jeep cherokee P.O.S. everywhere..

If I do drive the boxster, I park it where I can see it.. I am not really OCD over damage to the car, (I have beaten the lil' critter up on my own), but I hate it when people just get away with that crap fer nuttin...

I mean who smashes a windshield just cause its a Porsche, really?

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:54 AM   #25
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Funny you should ask. Just this past weekend, I had to go to Home Depot to pick out a bunch of bathroom and kitchen supplies to be delivered to my home later on. I thought to myself, oh great...I'll be there for a couple of hours, and by the time I go back to my car, it'll have dings/scratches galore from folks in wagons and trucks opening their doors and scraping their supplies against my car. I park in a spot close to the entry/exit way, so that there are lots of people constantly passing my car. Well to my pleasant surprise, after a couple hours when I come out, I find there's absolutely no damage at all on my car. Yippee!!

So I throw some kitchen tiles I bought in my trunk, and drive home. Get home, and then while pulling out the tiles from my rear trunk, one falls on my rear spoiler, and scratches thru the clear coat. ARRGGGGHHH!!! Once inch scratch! I just can't win.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip_168
I used to drive & park the boxster everywhere... never really thought about it, until I came out to the car parked in the Ybor city parking garage & it had a brick in the windshield. now the boxster stays in the garage & I drive my 87 jeep cherokee P.O.S. everywhere..

If I do drive the boxster, I park it where I can see it.. I am not really OCD over damage to the car, (I have beaten the lil' critter up on my own), but I hate it when people just get away with that crap fer nuttin...

I mean who smashes a windshield just cause its a Porsche, really?
When I lived in Tampa I remember seeing some people almost get into a fight because their Camaro broke down in the exit lane of the Ybor garage. I never had a Boxster when I lived there so I never had the joy of parking it in that garage.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip_168
I used to drive & park the boxster everywhere... never really thought about it
That's been my attitude. I think it depends on your view of your car. Because it's a fine, German machine and expensive some people view their cars as being "precious". The more precious, the more it will sit in the garage, get babied, and not get driven - and I assume the more carefully it will be parked.

I took my car in this week for paint. I'm adding a GT3 front, Gemballa GT side skirts, and a Gemballa GT rear bumper. The "preciousness" of my Boxster just jumped up several notches and I guarantee you that my attitude about parking the car will be very changed once I get it back next week. I'd better get used to parking far away and walking.

My main concern will be with nights out on the town. I like to take my Assistant out dancing, but the parking is less than ideal. I'll be concerned about parking the in a dark lot with a bunch of drunks hanging around. I think my best bet is to just park it right in front of the bar on the curb, under the lights. With all of the smokers out front, the car will certainly get noticed and get attention, but hopefully not keyed with so many people around.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #28

This is my office parking lot. Im the dot in the WAYYYYYYYYY back.. A good 50 or so feet from anyone else.

nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
That's been my attitude. I think it depends on your view of your car. Because it's a fine, German machine and expensive some people view their cars as being "precious". The more precious, the more it will sit in the garage, get babied, and not get driven - and I assume the more carefully it will be parked.

I took my car in this week for paint. I'm adding a GT3 front, Gemballa GT side skirts, and a Gemballa GT rear bumper. The "preciousness" of my Boxster just jumped up several notches and I guarantee you that my attitude about parking the car will be very changed once I get it back next week. I'd better get used to parking far away and walking.

My main concern will be with nights out on the town. I like to take my Assistant out dancing, but the parking is less than ideal. I'll be concerned about parking the in a dark lot with a bunch of drunks hanging around. I think my best bet is to just park it right in front of the bar on the curb, under the lights. With all of the smokers out front, the car will certainly get noticed and get attention, but hopefully not keyed with so many people around.
I used to date a guy that had a new Z. He parked it like that in front of a bar once, right outside the front door up on the curb. When we went back to the car after being there an hour or so the car was covered in spit.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #30
eqs

Probably not the best idea Kirk, all it takes is one time and you're going to wish you didn't. Maybe take your Assistant's ride, or get a cab?

Anyways, have a drink for me too, when you're there, Cheers
eqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #31

I can park 500 feet from the nearest car, take two spaces, park at an angle, put orange cones around the car with POLICE tape around it and there will still be an idiot that will park 18 inches from me!
People are idiots, we must live amongst them with our cars, therefore we must also expect dings and scratches.
boxstershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxstershorts
I can park 500 feet from the nearest car, take two spaces, park at an angle, put orange cones around the car with POLICE tape around it and there will still be an idiot that will park 18 inches from me!
People are idiots, we must live amongst them with our cars, therefore we must also expect dings and scratches.

My friend's husband got a Saab and parked it in his garage at home and in a lot at work for the most part. He still thought it was all shiny and pretty with no dings until he realized his kids had been getting out of the SUV that also would be parked in the garage and opening the doors on his Saab. Then he was just like, oh, well, had to happen eventually.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #33

it's parked in the barn to keep the old guy's company! i spent $2000 on the 944 18 months ago and it travelled 5 miles and i spent $1500 on the bmw 325 cabriolet which travelled 500 miles?!?!? why do i do it ....WHY do i do it?
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #34

Look, my car made a friend yesterday

Old 05-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #35

another thing

If I do happen to park next to two cars, I always strategically park my car on a slight slant so that the passenger door on my left and the driver's side door on the right leave plenty of space *so far, so good*
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #36
eqs

I have to admit I've been living dangerously lately. I've been lazy and park close(r) than I should. But what's a guy to do, lug 24s a block and a half?

I know I'm going to get it someday, but, what the ____ .

Cheers Literally and figuratively

And LB, hummm, if that's a single dude? ........
eqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqs
I have to admit I've been living dangerously lately. I've been lazy and park close(r) than I should. But what's a guy to do, lug 24s a block and a half?

I know I'm going to get it someday, but, what the ____ .

Cheers Literally and figuratively

And LB, hummm, if that's a single dude? ........

That's what I was wondering! But the car was there when I parked and when I left about 30 minutes later. It was in the building where our office is though, so who knows, maybe I'll see the car again and can always hope it's a cute single guy owner.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #38
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycool
it's parked in the barn to keep the old guy's company! i spent $2000 on the 944 18 months ago and it travelled 5 miles and i spent $1500 on the bmw 325 cabriolet which travelled 500 miles?!?!? why do i do it ....WHY do i do it?
Very cool.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #39
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxstershorts
What kills me is when I park out where there are no other cars, and when I come back - there is one car - parked next to me! Why next to me? Why not in a space with no nearby cars? It kills me
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #40

Just think of paintless dent repair (PDR) as maintenance. A hundered bucks or so once a year will keep things straight. Think of it as your cars chiropractor. I'm getting some PDR tomorrow.