Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 06:02 AM   #1

SOLD: Sad Day!

The Boxster went to a new home this week . I have mixed feelings about this. I will miss the car, I think it is a great feat of engineering and I definately enjoyed my time with 'her'.

However, with two kids under the age of four I found the car to be very impractical and my opportunities to drive the car were very infrequent. Having an expensive depreciating asset just sitting in the garage became hard to deal with so I decided 'she' would be best at a new home.

I was lucky to find a good local buyer who seems very excited to enjoy the Boxster for many years to come. I think he walked away with a very good deal on a low mileage 05 Boxster S.

So what's next for me? I'm not entirely sure. I think I will stick with the two SUVs we have for the next year, then consider a purchase next Spring. The leading candidate right now is the new M3 sedan. That way I can use it as an everyday driver (kids fit in it) and still enjoy a few track days.

I plan to continue to participate in the forum on occassion.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:32 AM   #2

probably a wise move in the current climate. Resale values are dropping like a lead weight. Track days?! you'll have to take a loan just to fill your tank! I just saw some really long lines near me here in NJ. On the highways they only change the gas prices once a week every Friday. The next morning bang 20 cent increase.
I knew I should have filled up last week instead of going for the usual half tank.
I somehow convinced myself that oil was going to drop this week...

I stoped by the local BMW dealer and that M3 does look nice too bad its a V8. Two SUV's and a V8? I think you better build a refinery in your back yard! The new 1 series looked really nice, now with 300 HP. The hard top convertible versions of the 3 and 1 are looking nice too.

p.s.
check out the pricing on Prius cars as gas goes towards $5. That may be the first non-collectable appreciating car ever!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
If you're gonna miss the top down experience, you could also go the route of a future M3 cab or a 335i cab. The BMWs have much more usable back seats than the 911 cabs, and you'd still have a peppy fun car to drive around as your daily driver. JMHO.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #4

you said the guy got a good deal on the car? what did you sell it for if you don't mind me asking? that is an ideal car...S model and the first year it came out redesigned. 6 speed? if so those are the 3 most important things in a boxster IMO... i was thinking if i should sell the 986 and get a 987. If i did it would be an 05 S with 6 speed, and honestly silver for the exterior.
ut_cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #5

I had the car listed at $43k but ended up getting $40k. I was willing to go lower because he was local and I was mostly getting interest from out of state. I prefered local because it felt safer with less hassle. If you look at the market this is a very good price so I think he did well.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #6

Garage
Too bad, I understand what you're saying, I have a baby girl on the way! I keep asking my wife where is she going to sit?

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #7

It comes full circle. I've always had one or two 911s when my kids were little. I could even fit a car seat in the back of the Carreras. Now I'm in my fifties, kids are getting older, so I bought a Boxster S a few years back to join my 911 track car and something I could enjoy on the weekends. My 17 year old son will be driving it tomorrow at his first PCA Autocross school as a junior participant.

Love those warm weather drives with the top down. Enjoy your kids when they're little...another car will come to you in due time.

jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote