Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #1

Best place to buy rotors and pads?

Hello everyone,
I wanted to ask if anyone had suggestion on where to buy OEM rotors (rear and front) for my 2002 S.
Also what brand of pads are the best for awsome stopping power, but still good for normal fun driving?

Thanks,
James

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:41 AM   #2

I bought Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors off eBay from a Canadian seller and saved a bunch of cash on them compared to US retailers online.

The pad question has a lot to do with brand preference and you'll find many threads debating which ones are better than others. I am running Pagid blacks right now with my new cross-drilled rotors and they sure do stop better than my Textar ones I had one previously, but the dust on the rims has increased substantially too.

I am not sure if this is due to the fact that I went from solid to cross drilled or not.

Although you didn't ask, doing the disc and pad swap is super easy, especially if you have a Motive power bleeder. Don't pay someone to do it if you have a garage, a couple of hand tools and a floor jack and jack stands. The money you'll save would even pay for all these things if you don't own them.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I bought Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors off eBay from a Canadian seller and saved a bunch of cash on them compared to US retailers online.
Who the heck is the Canadian seller? We usually end up paying way more north of the 49th vs buying from the US.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #4

Here you go:

http://stores.ebay.com/Elite-Automotive

May not be the best price any longer, but they were when I bought them at the end of last year.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #5

not sure if this is the guy but he is in Canada and the price seems good for all 4 disks,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330227078163&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014
Old 04-20-2008, 07:43 AM   #6

So I see both of those vendors only offer drilled rotors for the base Boxster. How have you guys found them to be, especially as far as early wear of the pads is concerned?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:50 AM   #7

imo stick to oem, sunset imports porsched lr in oregon
BOXZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #8

I only have about 500 miles on my new cross drilled rotors and pagid pads, so I can't comment on wear at this point.

Stopping power is much better than before, but it's hard to determine if it's the pads, the new rotors, the stainless brake lines, or all of them working in concert.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #9

Where not to buy

I will never shop with Brake Planet again. I found their ad on Ebay, which was a set of 4 drilled and slotted rotors and 4 pads for $250. Pretty good deal if you dont mind waiting 2 months for the stuff. Only reason I waited so long was because every Monday when I would call they gave me another excuse and that they would ship this week. Ya, Right!

I found a set of SS brake line on ebay for $75. Great price and if you have never driven a car with them I highly recommend them.

Pressure bleeder and fluid from Pelican Parts. They are perfect, great prices, fast shipping.
JoeLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #10

careful with some of the ebay SS lines. i bought a set of the teflon coated SS lines & one of them started to leak between the SS and teflon after about eight months.

swapped w/ the ones pelican sells and no problems now.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #11

I sure hope that doesn't happen to my SS lines. I'd be pissed.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXZING
imo stick to oem, sunset imports porsche dlr in oregon
That's great unless you're in Canada. Apparently one of my "compatriots" ripped them off once, and now they want all of your personal info including underwear size before they'll send anything north of the 49th ...