986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   If you had to choose one mods what would it be? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16380)

BoxsterLewis 04-17-2008 04:16 PM

If you had to choose one mods what would it be?

I know Porsches don't really need any modding to make it enjoyable but if you had to chose a mod 1 to make it faster and 1 for pure enjoyment what would it be? Preffered if you already have done it :)

TriGem2k 04-17-2008 04:37 PM

There is no such thing as ONE mod.

Once you start you'll never stop no matter how much you tell yourself your done.

I'm 6years and $30k in mods and they just keep coming.

The single most enjoyable thing depends on what aspects of the car you like the best.

If you into Auto X or Track use maybe its Suspension.
If your into looks maybe its the Areo Kit & Wheels

Too many to list.

Give us an idea of what your thinking about...

edevlin 04-17-2008 04:46 PM

My favorite mod by far is suspension. I love the Bilstein PSS9 coilover setup. The car sits lower, is tighter and corners like it's on rails.

Ed

:cheers:

Jeph 04-17-2008 04:57 PM

Visually: Carerra front end
Power: 3.4 swap

986speedster 04-17-2008 05:16 PM

Wheels for visual, and suspension for handling.

bmussatti 04-17-2008 05:26 PM

A RUF engine swap.

drburton 04-17-2008 06:23 PM

The engine swap would be nice but probably cost prohibitive for most. So if you consider cost as a factor:

1) Enjoyment - Wheels, I have a weird wheel obsession so good wheels are a must
2) Performance - aftermarket headers and exhaust - gets you the sound benefit plus a bit more HP.

heyjae 04-17-2008 06:34 PM

If it were strictly one mod, it'd be coilovers, but I'm more interested in handling than most.

rick3000 04-17-2008 07:13 PM

I go with: If it isn't broken don't fix it, but if it isn't there add it.
Porsche knows a lot more than me about building cars, and they made every part of the car specifically to work together, so I stay away from performance mods. Plus, I am perfectly happy with the performance of my car, and keeping some money in my wallet.

My favorite mod so far was the OBC switch, it adds a lot of functionality for only $50, although figuring out the intermittent wipers from the scattered info on the internet was a lot of fun. :cheers:

pteam 04-17-2008 07:29 PM

IF this question were on the viper boards (which it probably has been) almost everybody would answer : EXHAUST!

Changing the exhaust on the vipers gains 20 hp / 20 tq , removes the x pipes underneath which restrict air and create lots of heat for the cabin above, plus the cost alone is worth it based just on the sound. Plus you have weight loss which it saves 17 pounds.

All this info can be applied towards the porsche but not as much for each category.

clickman 04-17-2008 08:01 PM

Geez, I guess I haven't got as much spare cash as the rest of you...

For me it was the rear speakers, simple yet effective

djomlas 04-17-2008 11:10 PM

it would have to be something that you use every time in the car...also depends on $.
if sometrhign relatively cheap, short shifter, its a must as one mod or add to all the mods you do, shifter in boxster is a joke.
if no money was object, prolly an engine swap

jmatta 04-18-2008 05:50 AM

Evo Hi-Flow intake for pure sound enjoyment...lowering springs so your car doesn't look like a 4X4. Oh yeah; throw in a short shifter and ditch the factory long throw bus feel.

Kirk 04-18-2008 07:53 AM

Visual - I was actually surprised by my best visual improvement. I got some Gemballa lowering springs cheap off of eBay. After I put them on I was really amazed at how much cooler the car looks lowered. It may seem subtle, but I personally would do lowering springs before wheels for a visual improvement. Larger wheels just look strange when the car's not lowered.

Performance - You're pretty limited as to what you can do with engines that come so highly tuned from the factory. I've done an intake filter and exhaust, but I think if you really want to improve performance, then you're looking at a 911 engine swap.

BoxsterLewis 04-18-2008 11:00 AM

How much do these 911/Carrera engine swaps run anyways?

Back2DTM 04-18-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clickman
Geez, I guess I haven't got as much spare cash as the rest of you...

For me it was the rear speakers, simple yet effective

stock rear speakers or upgrade? my stock ones are weak...

CJ_Boxster 04-18-2008 11:38 AM

RUF engine upgrade.

Gary in BR 04-18-2008 12:31 PM

Looks I would go with lowering springs

Performance exhaust.

But dont forget to desnorkel.

One of my favorite mods was changing my 968 4 spoke steering wheel for a fvd wheel. It may one of the most underestimated mods i have done.

RandallNeighbour 04-18-2008 12:35 PM

Gary, I'm surprised you didn't say "turbocharger."

That's the single greatest mod I would consider beyond a full engine swap.

CJ_Boxster 04-18-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary in BR
Looks I would go with lowering springs

Performance exhaust.

But dont forget to desnorkel.

One of my favorite mods was changing my 968 4 spoke steering wheel for a fvd wheel. It may one of the most underestimated mods i have done.

Nice purse... :D just kidding!