Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 09:16 PM   #1

Anyone using rear wheel spacers to give more aggressive look?

Hi , wondering if anyone using wheel spacers on there boxster ,and can u use up to a certian point without wheel alignment like 911's 6mm spacer ones that just slide onto the wheels bolts with tire rim holding it on,to get a wider stance look to the rear end. thx.

eomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #2

Yep I have 15 in ther rear and 6 or 7 on the front.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:46 AM   #3

I have 7mm spacers in the rear and none in the front. It is a subtle change but definately noticeable to me. I confirmed with the Porsche dealer that the 7mm spacer is safe and won't impact performance etc...

5mm wheel spacers are actually an option now if you ordered a new Boxster.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:35 AM   #4
bmussatti

I ordered my Boxster with the 5mm spacers- front & back. Very subtle change.

It really hepls with wheel cleaning though. The extra 1/4 inch allows me to get the caliper cleaned.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:01 PM   #5

I have 10mm in the rear for some 19x10`s that have 295x30`s on them it looks very aggressive. and in my opinion very nice
joyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
I confirmed with the Porsche dealer that the 7mm spacer is safe and won't impact performance etc...

5mm wheel spacers are actually an option now if you ordered a new Boxster.
This is good information. My take on wheel spacers has always been if you don't need them, don't run them. If you're looking to buy wheels that require spacers, look for different wheels. But, I didn't know the above information and kind of frees up a few options I was looking at for wheels.

I had a bad experience a few years ago with a BMW I had and wheel spacers on aftermarket wheels. So, I've been anti-wheel spacers ever since.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:35 AM   #7
bmussatti

The part number for the Porsche 5mm Spacers are:

#000 044 500 09

This includes 4 spacers and the longer anti-theft wheel bolts.

*These can NOT be used on the 19-inch Carrera Sport Design wheels.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
My take on wheel spacers has always been if you don't need them, don't run them. If you're looking to buy wheels that require spacers, look for different wheels.
And is still the correct approach. If a person is interested only from an aesthetic standpont, then I suppose spacers are OK. However, I would never use spacers if I planned to really drive my car, which I do (ie. very spirited driving, DE, etc).

Spacers were created as a fitament solution for wheels that weren't specifically designed for use on a particular vehicle.

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss

Last edited by J-RAD; 10-12-2007 at 09:09 AM.
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #9

I have the H&R 15mm spacers all around. looks perfect...stock the wheels were tucked in and made the car look like a frightened puppy. 5mm is not noticiable imo
Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RAD
And is still the correct approach. If a person is interested only from an aesthetic standpont, then I suppose spacers are OK. However, I would never use spacers if I planned to really drive my car, which I do (ie. very spirited driving, DE, etc).

Spacers were created as a fitament solution for wheels that weren't specifically designed for use on a particular vehicle.
normally i would agree with this, but since porsche offers 5mm as a factory option my feeling have changed. i'm assuming porsche knows a thing or 2 about how well their cars would perform on track.
humara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #11

I track my car with the spacers and no issues. In fact, my Porsche mechanic thought the spacers in the rear would improve track performance, wider track with more negative camber.

I think there are limitations though. I wouldn't throw on a 15mm spacer and track the car, I think that creates some stress.

05 Touareg V8
Black
Old 10-14-2007, 11:56 AM   #12

I have 7 mm front and 15 mm rear. I think they definitely improve the looks, and, according to a couple of knowledgeable folks, SHOULD improve things on the track. We'll see, since I'm going to a DE next Sat.

I have 17" wheels on my 01. How would adding these spacers increase any suspension stress over what increasing the wheel size to 18's and the tire size accordingly? Or what additional stress would simply increasing the width of the tire do???. I could put on 18's, which was an available size from the factory, and be at approximately the same relative position in the wheel well as putting on the spacers. I'm not convinced that any additional stress results over what the factory has allowed for in the design.

Now if we're talking about 50 MM spacers.. that's another matter! but the 7 and 15's are actually pretty small.

Just my .02

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #13

I was told that I should get hub-centric spacers; however, the 7mm H&Rs are not - the 15mm are. So, any opinions? If it helps, I plan to install them on a 2008 S with stock tires (235 40ZR18 front, 265 40ZR18 rear).
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #14

I have 7mm H&R spacers on all 4 wheels and have no trouble. I believe that they make the car look a little better though I don't see any handling differences. When I got them I talked to the parts man and he said to just be careful because if you had different sizes front and rear or just on rear or front you would change the steering and create over or under steer problems. Sort of makes sense. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #15

A lot of folks are running 7mm spacers on the front and 15mm on the rear. Excuse my ignorance but if the rear tires are wider, why would one use larger spacers on the rear vice the front? My objective is to bring the wheels/tires closer to the wheel well lip after I lower it with H&R springs.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
A lot of folks are running 7mm spacers on the front and 15mm on the rear. Excuse my ignorance but if the rear tires are wider, why would one use larger spacers on the rear vice the front? My objective is to bring the wheels/tires closer to the wheel well lip after I lower it with H&R springs.

Simple, people do that to keep the STAGGERED fitment. You can still achieve that with the same size spacers all the way around as long as your rims are still wider in the rear than they are in the front.

So as long as you don't try to put bigger ones in the front than the rear to make them even out, you shouldn't have any problems keeping your car with a staggered fitment.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #17

Was wondering about spacers so really liking this thread. What's the approximate cost for them and where's a good place to pick them up? first post, so do excuse the newb-ness of the questions. Thx.
pcar-yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #18

The best prices I have received thus far is from Performance Products - about $58 for the 7mm pair and $95 for the 15mm pair. I am still waiting for prices from Sunset & Hendricks. Keep in mind you'll also need longer wheel bolts - about $5 each.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 01-19-2008 at 11:43 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #19

The official Porsche spacers are spendy - about $250. You can get them much cheaper from aftermarket suppliers. H&R seem popular, I'll attach link to a merchant selling them (this is just for reference I don't have any experience with this merchant).

I got mine for free with my wheels from wheeldynamics.com, you could inquire with them on buying them as well.

http://www.optionimports.com/hr-porsche-wheel-spacer.html

05 Touareg V8
Black
Old 01-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #20
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar-yvr
Was wondering about spacers so really liking this thread. What's the approximate cost for them and where's a good place to pick them up? first post, so do excuse the newb-ness of the questions. Thx.
Pcar-yvr, here is a link to the Porsche 5mm spacers for $300.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=00004450009&Category_Code=987wheels