986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dash Speaker Replacement 2000 Boxter (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16323)

MR.G. 04-15-2008 06:39 AM

Dash Speaker Replacement 2000 Boxter

I have a 2000 Boxter and the dash speakers are shot. What size are they and can you get them out from the top? Anyone have ideas on good replacement speakers and proceedure(s)?
Tks.,
MR.G. :p

rick3000 04-15-2008 07:24 AM

If you do a search for this there are plenty of threads on it. The biggest problem you're going to have is that the mounts on the dash speakers are difference from every other 4" speaker, so you're going to have to do something custom to make new speakers fit.

If you're speakers are dead then, I would just cut up the speakers you have and use the mounts on a different 4" speaker. Also, when you remove the screws the speaker grill, and speaker just lift out, and then you disconnect the wires, I believe there is a plug.

Just search here and on RennTech, and you'll get plenty of information on this. :cheers:

TriGem2k 04-15-2008 11:00 AM

I just recently redid my stereo again........

I now have a 3 way component setup

Focal 165 VR3 that consists of:
4" Speaker for the Dash
1" Tweeter for the Dash
6.5" Woofer for the Doors

Sounds really good.

As already stated though you need to custom make brackets for the dash. I just had my factory brackets chopped up to fit the new speakers.

Lil bastard 04-15-2008 01:05 PM

Buying Speakers is like buying shoes, you really have to try them on to get the perfect fit.

There is so much variation between all the speakers out there that to be sure you have the ones which sound best to you, you have to listen to several different kinds.

Focals are great, my personal choice, but they have a lot of presence, and not everyone likes their crispness.

Boston Accoustics are good, but less crisp.

JL's are OK - definitely above Kenwood, Pioneer or Sony, but personally, I don't care for them though they do make some good amps and subs. Same with Alpine.

Visit a high-end car audio shop where they'll have many different setups side-by-side so you can hear the differences. Of course, what you hear in the store will not exactly mimic the conditions or sound in your car, but it is a fair indicator.

BOXZING 04-16-2008 05:59 AM

[QUOTE=TriGem2k]I just recently redid my stereo again........

Off topic, sorry, but dude, your car is really nice. I enjoy seeing your avitar on your posts. Good job!

Wingnut2u 04-16-2008 07:08 AM

I like Focal but another brand you might look into is MB Quart they make an excellent product. I use them in my boat and they perform and sound great in open air environment.

Just my .02

TriGem2k 04-16-2008 09:47 AM

@Lil Bastard, your absolutely right the Focals are very crisp but you have to love it. They sound amazing. I have Audio Control DQXS DSP unit that cleans up the sound very well and I was able to adjust the crispness to just the way I like it.

@Boxzing, Thanks! It's always nice to hear kind words.

@Wing MB Quart are great products, however I have noticed that their stuff has gone a little downhill. Products are still good just not as good as they once were. I believe they are now owned by Rockford Fosgate????

blinkwatt 04-16-2008 01:09 PM

I ran mid-level MB Quart component tweeters in my old Boxster. They made a nice addition,you could actually hear cymbals crashing.

Ask the dude with the triple black twin turboed 2.5L, Gary in BR. He bought them from me and commented on the nice addition they made to the stereo.