Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 04:34 AM   #1

Tire Question

Just picked up a 2002 Boxster; 17500 miles. Excellent condition; new clutch and RMS.

I got a bumper to bumper warranty, but what other issues could I expect with a 6 year old car? Also, a tire dealer recommended Michelein Riken Raptors as a good replacement tire (I plan on changing them within the next 3 months). Ever heard of these tires, and would you put them on your Box?

softroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:15 AM   #2

If you can afford the Michellin PS2's, I would get them. They dont last long, but they are hard to beat.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:37 AM   #3

Never heard of those. Run a search here using the keyword Michellin and you'll find many pertinent threads on the current offering of tires for our cars.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by softroop
Also, a tire dealer recommended Michelein Riken Raptors as a good replacement tire (I plan on changing them within the next 3 months). Ever heard of these tires, and would you put them on your Box?
The commonly heard answer to this is that Riken is a Japanese company and Michelin is French, but if you want a little history :
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-60907759.html
I have heard some less than positive things about them on various boards, but usually in the same context as Kumho - good performance for the $, but there are better choices. I had Kumho Ecsta Supras on my Miata and they were but horrible in the rain (We are talking a 360 on a highway entrance ramp here ). From what I understand the less expensive tires must cut corners somewhere - make sure it is acceptable to you first.

You really want to go with them I believe Discount Tire has info.
CT986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:55 PM   #5

never heard of them.

tell us what kind of driving you do, the conditions, and what you want from a tire, we'll tell you what to buy.

also the reviews on tirerack are great!.

i love my bridgestone re01-R. but this car never sees the rain, even though this is a capable in the rain. but this is considered a summer only tire.
Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:40 AM   #6

Hi,

Ive stuck with Pirelli PZero Rosso

2nd set now, lasted about 35,000k(front) and 15,000 - 20,000k(rear)

Great grip in all conditions (except winter, using michelin alpine)

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:33 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies.

Benny986, I plan on using it as my primary car. It will be an everyday car, driven year round, city and highway driving.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:58 AM   #8

They aren't for me. You get what you pay for and cheap tires ain't it (2 cents)
The tires are Japanese made under the Michelin name ( as I read it)
Who buys a premier sports car and puts cheap rubber underneath it? That makes no sense to me. You asked

OHTA, Japan--Okamoto Industries Ltd. has sold its minority stake in Michelin Okamoto Tire Corp. to Groupe Michelin, giving the French firm 100-percent control of the company.

Michelin Okamoto has been a joint venture of both companies since 1988.

Okamoto owned 10 percent of the venture, in which Michelin has increased its share steadily over the years. Michelin paid $45.8 million for the remaining share. The deal includes rights to the Riken brand.

Michelin Okamoto operates one tire plant in Ohta, where it produces Michelin, BFGoodrich and Riken passenger and light truck tires for the ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by softroop

Also, a tire dealer recommended Michelein Riken Raptors as a good replacement tire (I plan on changing them within the next 3 months). Ever heard of these tires, and would you put them on your Box?
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:30 PM   #9

Cool

Again, thanks for the replies. I'm staying with the Michelins.

Sputter, I never said I wanted to buy those tires, I said a tire dealer tried to push them at me, and having never heard of them before, I presented the question to the forum.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #10

ohh ok, then i guess i don't need to make any suggestions : ) heheh

the mich pilot A/s is good, but for the money, i'd prob take a kumho ast or spt. i forget which is which right now.

the neovas are good, but spendy. but if you are ever near snow, this is NOT your tire.

there is a pretty decent falken that is an A/S. i forget the name right now.

Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote