Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 06:15 PM   #1

Rear Window Haze

I was wondering if there was a product or proceedure for getting the chafing haze off the rear window plastic. I tried some Meguires plastic polish 10 but that didn't do anything.
Tks.,
MR.G.

MR.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:58 PM   #2

Try Plexus plastic cleaner. It is one of the best you can use for the rear plastic window...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #3

I like the Novus system. Bought the 3pc kit for under $20 and it made my rear window look near new.
Rareair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:52 AM   #4

+1 for the Plexus plastic cleaner

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #5

I use the Novus plastic polish kit on my '97 and the original rear window looks near new. I've used this stuff for two years and even my dealer is impressed with the condition of the window.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #6

Procuring the Novus

A couple of you recommended the Novus kit. Where can one get this kit?
Tks.,
MR.G.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.G.
A couple of you recommended the Novus kit. Where can one get this kit?
Tks.,
MR.G.

http://www.novuspolish.com/
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.G.
... the chafing haze off the rear window plastic...
Curious about what specifically you mean by "chaffing". I've never heard, nor would I describe, the haze/film this this way (re: chaffing). Just want to make sure your talking the same, common issue.

FWIW, I've used the Meguires product with great success, although I've never had a real bad haze issue.

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #9

Rear Window Chafing

On my 2000 Boxter there are about three skinned places on the rear glass that appear to be more than mear hazing and or discoloration (yellowing/fogging) of plastic. I have seen that also but these are actual rubbed spots where the glass is touching something when collapsed. These spots look as though someone took some OO steel wool or 2000 emery and rubbed them (even though I know that didn't cause this).
Tks.,
MR.G.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #10

http://mro2go.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=5867136

shows 7.97 for the Novus kit : ) Wonder if the plexus will do the same job since its a tad cheaper.
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #11

Assuming it's good stuff, the same outfit has the same product in 8 oz bottles (instead of the 2 ouncers):

http://mro2go.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=5867100&Category_Code=&Search=Novus&Search_Type=AND&Offset=0

(I HOPE it's good stuff...based on some of the recommendations in this thread, I just ordered some!)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #12

small scratches, me too...

sounds like my 02's window has the same issue. looks like someone rubbed a little too hard to get something off the plastic at one point in its former life.
I use Plexus, and use it liberally. Seems to help, but does not last more than a couple months (daily driver, in Florida sun/heat/humidity every day). Big can lasts a while.
I am still searching for a "paste" for the center of the window (fold area) to see if I can get that to look better. (a neighbor told me BMW makes a good product?) I also tried 303 from Marine West store and had about the same result. I believe Plexus and 303 are similar products?
Spray on the plexus, let it soak in a bit, soft towel dry it (don't use micro towel- it's a little too abrasive INHO.)
when I start really noticing the scratches I usually just drop the top
lapis986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #13

I use Plexus on the visors of my Suomy & Arai helmets because it's a nice, fine polish.

But to remove hazing from the plastic rear window, Novus is the answer. Novus is a 3-step system which includes a micro abrasive compound. Finished off with a polish

Rareair is offline   Reply With Quote