Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #1

Front Radiators...

My temperature gauge kept flashing and water was leaking all over the place so took my car into a garage. They said 'front right radiator's been punctured, very common on these cars as the they aren't covered'. Is this true? i could see his point as he pointed where the radiator was and how exposed it is, but is this gonna happen all the time?

Thanks

J

jwl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl21
My temperature gauge kept flashing and water was leaking all over the place so took my car into a garage. They said 'front right radiator's been punctured, very common on these cars as the they aren't covered'. Is this true? i could see his point as he pointed where the radiator was and how exposed it is, but is this gonna happen all the time?

Thanks

J

I'll buy that it could be punctured as for the "common due to exposure" I call BS. There are many cars on the road that have vast areas of the radiator exposed enough to sustain damage from an unlucky hit from flying debris.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #3

yeah i thought the same. The fault was definitely in the radiator as steam was coming out of it etc. well it's still under warranty so not paying for the repair which is a bonus, was just concerned as to whether this was a common problem.

Cheers

j
jwl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl21
yeah i thought the same. The fault was definitely in the radiator as steam was coming out of it etc. well it's still under warranty so not paying for the repair which is a bonus, was just concerned as to whether this was a common problem.

Cheers

j

I've never seen any other posts saying it was common, enjoy the free repair. You can always add mesh screens in you feel more comfortable but I doubt you will have a repeat incident, enjoy the day, I'm out to an interview right now...
Old 03-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE3racing
I've never seen any other posts saying it was common, enjoy the free repair. You can always add mesh screens in you feel more comfortable but I doubt you will have a repeat incident, enjoy the day, I'm out to an interview right now...
EE3...Good luck w/the interview! Sorry that I hijack this thread
Poorshoesless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #6

A friend of mine custom ordered a Cayman S. When I was checking it out (very nice), I remarked to him how his car has the center radiator - which looks totally exposed. He was pretty surpised to see there was no protection. AZ roads are notorious for debris, looked very vulnerable to me.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have heard of the front radiator hoses getting punctured. I know someone posted about his gf driving over a potted plant, and that did it. But I wouldn't call it common.