Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #1

wet alarm

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and also a new Boxster owner. I bought my 1997 986 a month ago. It rained last week and my drivers side was flooded with 2 to 3 inches of water. The previous owner installed an aftermarket setup to operate the top and ran the wire from the battery compartment without sealing it which caused the flood.
My alarm got wet and I am unable to start the car. When I put the key in the ignition all the lights come on but when I turn it to the start position nothing happens. I was wondering if the alarm is bad can I buy a used one or am I stuck buying a new one from the dealer, I mean stealer?

Thanks in advance,
Ron

Sorry, I posted this in the classifieds by mistake and am reposting in the general forum.

midnight blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I am not sure about any aftermarket top setup. It sounds to me like you have a clogged drain.

Regardless, it is not just the alarm under there, but the entire computer for the car. Get it towed to the dealer and your probably looking at a few thousand in repairs.
Also, you can't just replace the computer alone, because it has to be programed to your car.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #3

others have had issues like this in the past and some have been fortunate enough to get the unit functioning again by drying it out thoroughly. To pull it out, you'll need to remove the seat. Then unplug the unit and dry it out completely before retrying. Pop it out and take the cover off. Let a fan blow on it for a few days to get all the moisture out of the circuit boards. While waiting for it to dry, clean out all the drains (front - under cowl & rear - under clam-shell to prevent this from happening again. Also check to see the foam liner in the conv top storage compartment isn't torn.

Once the box is dried out, you can plug it in and see if it (hopefully) will work. If not, you'll need to replace it which can be a little pricey

Good luck!

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote