Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #1

Bad Hub or Wheel Bearing?

How do you tell the difference between a bad rear wheel bearing and a bad rear hub? Also, how can I determine which side?

This evening I jacked the car up and tried to shake the wheels and neither would move......

I have been hearing the medium level "roar" a little while now, I assumed it was because of the balding Kuhmo's I had on the car but when I picked the car up from the tire shop, my tire guy said that when he test drove the car he hear the noise and he thinks its a bad wheel bearing (possibly driver side but he couldn't really determine which side it was) He then said it might be a bad rear hub.

Now that I have new brake pads, new tires, fresh oil, and a new battery, i'm ready to get this wheel bearing/hub taken care of so that I can enjoy the spring top down season.......

"Its Craptacular" - Bart Simpson 1997

Last edited by joshua6060; 03-11-2008 at 05:27 PM.
joshua6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #2

I've got it too. Sounds like I'm driving a large truck. It's probably a bad wheel bearing, based on the posts I've seen here. Do a search for "rear+noise" and you'll find a lot of information.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #3

You can often tell a bad wheel bearing with a forceful well placed shove. Kneel in front of the wheel. Place both hands on the wheel (at ten and two). Push in really hard. A bad wheel bearing will exhibit itself by a noticeable click-click. If that doesn't work, jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground and repeat your shove test.

Regards,
Alan

renzop is offline   Reply With Quote