986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Scratch removal (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15853)

David N. 03-15-2008 04:47 PM

Scratch removal

Darn garden hose hit the bumper as I was washing the car today and left a nice little series of scratches. The car has a nice level of fairly new wax on it, it's hard to tell how deep the scratches go. So what's the order of things I do to attempt to remove it in the least damaging way possible?

EE3racing 03-15-2008 05:15 PM

If the scratches aren't deep you can try a product like Scratch X or Blackfire polish (which is a better product) both are safe for clearcoats. an important factor. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction I would avoid any rubbing compounds and seek the help of a local dent wizard. Where I live there is an ex ace painter who just removes dents and scratches for dealers now, he's like a magician., maybe there's a guy like that near you too, good luck.

peakpro 03-15-2008 05:34 PM

If you can't get you fingernail in the scratch then the chances are good you can eliminate them.

Scratch X is good but I prefer mothers scratch remover.

It will take allot of elbow grease. And make sure you towels are clean.

Once they are looking good rewax the area.

good luck

Where's my car? 03-15-2008 08:12 PM

Man i have a bad crack on my rear bumper from a hit and run in a parking lot. Any clue if its possible to fix?

for your problem David, just use scratch remover and them wax with zymol and it will be good as new

blue2000s 03-15-2008 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Where's my car?
Man i have a bad crack on my rear bumper from a hit and run in a parking lot. Any clue if its possible to fix?

for your problem David, just use scratch remover and them wax with zymol and it will be good as new

You're talking about an actual crack through the bumper? I can be mended back together with products from Lord Fusor, but it would need to be repainted afterwards.

Where's my car? 03-16-2008 12:54 AM

Well it didn't crack all the way through but the paint is cracked a bit and the bumper is a tad dented. any hope THanks

blue2000s 03-16-2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Well it didn't crack all the way through but the paint is cracked a bit and the bumper is a tad dented. any hope THanks

They also make filler materials. Unless you're experienced at automotive style painting, your best hope is to take it to a body shop, where they'll probably just replace it.

KevinH1990 03-16-2008 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EE3racing
Where I live there is an ex ace painter who just removes dents and scratches for dealers now, he's like a magician., maybe there's a guy like that near you too, good luck.

There probably is.

When I had paint less dent repair performed on my car, I met the PDR guy at a Toyota dealership. There were several guys working in the parking lot on the trade ins. Each one had a specialty (PDR, paint touch up, upholstery). It was like a bazaar. I picked up a bunch of business cards. Call a few dealerships and find out who they use. Be prepared to bargain for a good price.

I think you will get a better job than you could do yourself, and spend less than what a body shop would charge. You will always know the scratch was there, but no one else will notice.

Good luck.

yellowboxster01 03-16-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s
They also make filler materials. Unless you're experienced at automotive style painting, your best hope is to take it to a body shop, where they'll probably just replace it.

Some body shops would replace it but, we would plastic weld the bumper back together or fill it with spot putty and repaint the bumper. It saves the customer some cash. I just did this a couple weeks ago to a 944 Turbo. Looked flawless afterwards.

Rubbing compound will take out light to medium scratches.

To my knowledge, PDR can't do anything with plastic. If someone comes in with a dented bumper we'll usually take the heat gun to it and see if we can push it out. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

EE3racing 03-16-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

My bodyshop tells me that any repairs to cracks in the cowl may be subject to crazing (small fractures) in the future.