Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Lloyd Matts....

Just ordered a set of new matts from Performance Products.

Does anyone know how the Lloyd matts compare to the factory matts? I am on my 4th set of factory matts and I only drive the car 3k miles per year. They wear out wayy too fast. I opted for teh Lloyd this time around to see how they hold up.

What do you guys think?

-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
EE3racing

The quality is awesome, I bought a pair last year. However, be advised, the thread used in the logo doesn't clean up well at all. My disappointment has been that the beautiful color of the letters lasts about two months, and thats with summer use only and clean shoes!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I have a set of Llyod's mats as you see here, and it has held up really over a period of a year. Still no wear marks.

Just for a change, I also installed some Momo aluminum mat plates on my OEM mats, to see how I'd like them. And whether you think it's ricey or not, they do prevent wear on the mats.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
bmussatti

TriGem, when you get your new matts, spray them with a high quality fabric protector (like a 3M product). You can usually find good stuff at a hardware store. This will help a lot, to keep them clean and more stain resistant. Weekly vacuuming also helps a lot too.

I too have heard good things about the Lloyds matts.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #5

Awesome, Thanks Guys.

Bmuss - Would the fabric protector help with the actual wear of the matts? I've never had a real problem with my matts getting dirty. They always seem to wear out exactly where my heals apply pressure on them.

See picture below...Notice the Driver side matt...

-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 03-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
bmussatti

TriGem, well dirt and moisture will accelerate the 'wear' process so I think fabric protector and weekly vacuuming will help the mats last longer. Think of the dirt particle as sand paper, and wearing down the carpet fibers.

Regardless, the Lloyd's mats are pretty high quality and should last longer.

Have you considered the rubber hexo mats in black?
Old 03-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k

D@MN TriGem2K - How friggin big are your feet???? That wear mark is way far back from the pedal

Anyhow, the Lloyds are nice and thick but do wear. They clean up pretty well though (hint - follow their suggestions when cleaning too ).

Here are mine after 2 years (summer driving only)....

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
bmussatti

Here is a link to the hexo mats:

http://www.autoanything.com/floor-mats/64A2570A0A0A.aspx

I have them in tan, and like them a lot.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #9

Burg - I think I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight. My feet are a very sensitive subject :ah: . HAHAHA just kidding dude. The spot that is in the picture is from my left foot when it is not pressing the clutch and just resting there. JUST FOR THE RECORD I have a size 12 shoe.

Bmuss - Thanks for the link. Those matts look pretty awesome but I like the OEM look. Plus I live in SoCal and I never drive the car in the rain so the water absorption part is pretty useless. I will however send that link to my cousin who drives an S4 in NJ. I think he will love them.
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 03-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #10

Lloyd mats are the oe makers for Porsche, MBZ and BMW. In the last 5 MBZ I've had they have all been Lloyd and 3 of those cars were all brand new. They last very long
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #11

TriGem,

Call John at Rich and Famous Auto Tops in North Hollywood. I got some from him and the quality is way better than Lloyds. More expensive, but worth it. Much thicker pile and he can do leather piping in whatever color you want. He can also sew in a leather or rubber heel pad to reinforce the area at your heel.

Your car is a virtual twin of mine. I'm surprised I haven't seen you because I live in the valley and work in Burbank/Glendale.

Cheers.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #12

Ofishbein - Dude I live in Burbank and work in Glendale. I thought I've seen every Boxster around...Do you drive it daily? My office is right on the corner of Broadway & Adams.

Do you know if and how much the GAHH glass top would be from Famous Auto Tops? Would you happen to have their number on hand?

Thanks for the reply.

James
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 03-07-2008, 11:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxs2000
Lloyd mats are the oe makers for Porsche, MBZ and BMW. In the last 5 MBZ I've had they have all been Lloyd and 3 of those cars were all brand new. They last very long
Not exactly true. Lloyds are not an OEM supplier, they are an officially licensed manufacturer for aftemarket mats.

They must pass stringent quality standards as a matter of meeting the license requirements, but they do not supply Porsche, MB, Bimmmer, or other manufacturers directly.

They may supply USA dealers for aftermarket installations, but that differs from actually producing them for the manufacturers. A small distinction for some, but a clear distinction nonetheless.

Despite this, the Lloyds mats are of exceptionally good quality, perhaps second only to, if not the equal of, the Techquipment mats which are actually OEM supply.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-07-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:29 AM   #14
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Not exactly true. Lloyds are not an OEM supplier, they are an officially licensed manufacturer for aftemarket mats.

They must pass stringent quality standards as a matter of meeting the license requirements, but they do not supply Porsche, MB, Bimmmer, or other manufacturers directly.

They may supply USA dealers for aftermarket installations, but that differs from actually producing them for the manufacturers. A small distinction for some, but a clear distinction nonetheless.

Despite this, the Lloyds mats are of exceptionally good quality, perhaps second only to, if not the equal of, the Techquipment mats which are actually OEM supply.
Absolutely. The Lloyd's mats also have one feature that I don't like: they don't have the same velcro fastening system below the mats as the OEM mats do. They instead employ a strap and plastic fastener system that attaches from the mat to the seat railing, which to me is annoying because you have to unclip the mats before pulling out and cleaning them. It's also annoying if you take your car to a carwash, and the guys there don't know that you can't just pull the mats out for cleaning.

I solved the problem, however, by just cutting the straps off, and using some industrial strength velcro strips that I bought at the hardware store to stick on the underside of the Lloyd's mats so that I could still utilize the velcro attachment method.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Ofishbein - Dude I live in Burbank and work in Glendale. I thought I've seen every Boxster around...Do you drive it daily? My office is right on the corner of Broadway & Adams.

Do you know if and how much the GAHH glass top would be from Famous Auto Tops? Would you happen to have their number on hand?

Thanks for the reply.

James

James,

I think they make their own tops - I don't know if they do glass windows or not but I know they can source material from GAHH so they may be able to work something out. Their number is 818-782-4161. Tell him Larry Johnson referred you. He will remember doing some of my Alcantara work. You may want to visit and look at their operation. They always have some interesting jobs going on and you can look at some of their work. Another good local source is Auto Upholstery by AJ in Northridge.

I work near Western & Flower, but I only drive the Boxster once or twice a week. Same arctic silver, GT3 kit, etc., but soon to install CCW wheels. You are the only other person I have heard of brave (crazy?) enough to run the chin splitter on LA streets (I keep a spare).

Regards,

Larry.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #16

Just got my Lloyd matts and I must say that these things look and feel amazing! I installed them but refuse to put my feet on them until I get the Fabric Protector.

My matts are black with silver PORSCHE script.

I will post pictures soon...

Thanks everyone for your input.

James
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 03-14-2008, 04:37 AM   #17

In the latest issue of Road & track, there is an ad for custom made leather mats - www.calcarcover.com ($199.99 for a 2 piece set). And they come in a few colors...not sure how they would hold up though.

Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote