986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Where can I get replacement wheel caps (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15726)

barkdog 03-06-2008 10:01 AM

Where can I get replacement wheel caps

I noticed today that my painted crest wheel caps are in really sorry shape. I'm not sure how they got like this... a few months ago they looked brand new. Anyways, I'd like to get them replaced. Does anyone know where I can get good pricing on replacements? So far I've only found them on ebay for $160 (is that good?). Is there any trick to replacing them?

Burg Boxster 03-06-2008 10:10 AM

You can try polishing them first w/ plastx, novus or a dremel. Could also touch them up by hand w/ hobby paint - depending on which kind you have.

They pull out easily. Just unbend a paperclip, insert into one of the holes, turn it 90 degrees and yank it out. If yours don't have the holes, then you can try and slide a small screwdriver between cap and rim to pry it out or take the wheel off and pop it out form behind.

$160 is a too much. Keep watching ebay - lots pop up all the time. Also check the classifieds here or call sunset or suncoast.

EE3racing 03-06-2008 10:41 AM

If you are talking about the plain stock silver with black Porsche insignia, I have four in perfect condition from my turbo twists. I'm unemployed and could use the scratch make me an offer...If you need pics let me know, I'll go over and photograph them.

shaman1204 03-06-2008 11:19 AM

Mine were faded pretty bad, I sanded the crests with some very fine grit sandpaper and painted them with some spray can clear coat. Looked pretty good after that.

angman 03-06-2008 03:13 PM

I have a set that are in poor shape as well. They are OEM painted ones but the clear is all cloudy and dull. Anyone know how I can bring these back to life without buying new ones or knockoffs? Maybe I'll try the sanding technique as well. Out of curiousity I applied some WD-40 on the and then they looked great. This also worked with Vaseline as well. However, once they got washed off they were all cloudy and old looking again. Don't ask me why I used those products but the were just lying close by and it worked....

Rareair 03-06-2008 09:15 PM

If you're trying to restore the colored crest caps, here's a simple suggestion. Take some 1200-1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper and rub the top layer of the crest. Afterwards, apply some Meguirs/Mothers polish or hand glaze.
Or you can simply apply some clear from an aerosol can after using the wet/dry sandpaper.

barkdog 03-07-2008 04:43 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'll see if I can polish them up a bit, though I'm not sure if I'll have much luck... it looks like all of the color is gone.

shaman1204 03-07-2008 01:29 PM

Here are the before and after pics of my sanding/painting w/clearcoat method. I think I used 1000 grit.

jmatta 03-08-2008 10:00 AM

The one crest is missing red in a couple of spots. A little hobby paint and a steady hand does wonders to touch those up before clear coat. 1000 grit is too harsh, as well. Automotive supply stores carry #2000 or #2500 grit. I also would have only CC the crest, not the whole center cap.

That said (and nobody asked), they still look better than before.

shaman1204 03-09-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmatta
The one crest is missing red in a couple of spots. A little hobby paint and a steady hand does wonders to touch those up before clear coat. 1000 grit is too harsh, as well. Automotive supply stores carry #2000 or #2500 grit. I also would have only CC the crest, not the whole center cap.

That said (and nobody asked), they still look better than before.

If they were for my summer rims I prob would have painted the missing red and just CC the crests, but they are for my winter rims/tires so I didn't feel like doing all the prep.

I didn't feel the 1000 was too harsh, it actually took a lot of elbow grease to get the white discolored spots out of the factory finish.