986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Climate control LCD display replacement (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15658)

clickman 03-02-2008 12:13 PM

Climate control LCD display replacement

Apparently the replacement displays are now available for the Boxster that are a drop-in, rather than requiring modification. Anyone tried one?

Note the symbols in the picture aren't the same as in my stock display (2001).

eBay Item 280204048482

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280204048482&ru=http%3 A%2F%2Fmotors.shop.ebay.com%3A80%2F__%3F_from%3DR4 0%26_trksid%3Dm39%26_nkw%3D280204048482%26_nd1%3D% 26_fvi%3D1

Dragonwind 03-02-2008 02:38 PM

I have the one you had to modify and it works fine. My stock had to LCD's go bad so I got this. I would say that if you were waiting because of having to make the modification, then just grab this and drop it in.
Chris

Lil bastard 03-02-2008 04:07 PM

The symbols/images are different than OEM. The display they are offering is a direct replacement for Audis, who make the AC unit for both the Audi and Porsche, but the Porsche symbols/images are different. If that kind of originality isn't so important to you, this is a pretty good deal.

If it is, then you need to get the one requiring modification. One other thing I'm not sure of is if this item will adjust brightness the way the OEM does. I suspect it will, but am not certain.

PSL-Boxster 03-02-2008 04:50 PM

GAHHHHHHHH I WASTED MY PRECIOUS MONEY!!!!

when i had my car serviced, i had the little smudges on the side of it just like in the picture and i had to get it replaced...when it was all said and done i was $110 out .. next time that happens im definitely getting this.. thanks for the link :cheers:

Franco 03-02-2008 05:52 PM

Hi and Great find, how about someone that can sell us a replacement kit for those worn out + & - buttons :mad:

clickman 03-02-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonwind
I have the one you had to modify and it works fine. My stock had to LCD's go bad so I got this. I would say that if you were waiting because of having to make the modification, then just grab this and drop it in.
Chris

Chris, did yours have the stock symbols? Norm

clickman 03-02-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSL-Boxster
i had the little smudges on the side of it just like in the picture and i had to get it replaced...when it was all said and done i was $110 out

What did you get for $110? The whole unit new is over $500 here in the great white north. Norm

Dragonwind 03-03-2008 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clickman
Chris, did yours have the stock symbols? Norm

No, mine has the different display now. Only way to get it orginal is to replace the entire unit.
Chris

PSL-Boxster 03-03-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

What did you get for $110? The whole unit new is over $500 here in the great white north. Norm

when i bought my car i bought an extended warranty, so when i got it replaced it was still in effect.. all i had to do is pay for the labor and such.. which of course i probably could've done :mad:

i think $500 is a bit pricey for the entire unit.. they definitely were trying to rip you off..if i remember right i think mine full price was somewhere around a few hundred dollars

clickman 03-07-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSL-Boxster
i think $500 is a bit pricey for the entire unit.. they definitely were trying to rip you off..if i remember right i think mine full price was somewhere around a few hundred dollars

Don't forget this is Canada we're talking about here. Add at least 50%!

clickman 03-07-2008 12:12 PM

Well, I bought one. With USPS and Canada Post combining their considerable talents, it should get here in about 3 weeks.

The symbols won't be stock, but I'm getting tired of the "rising sun" and missing segments, and the price is right.

Anyone interested in a full DIY?

silverboxter 03-09-2008 06:47 PM

yes, very interested in a diy. my wife's box s has the same issue.

Cloudsurfer 03-09-2008 07:56 PM

So, on a related note, is there any way to replace the LCD in the gauge cluster, particularly the dot matrix version?

Patrick

clickman 03-12-2008 07:18 PM

Back to the original thread...

Just finished the install. It was pretty easy. Took less than an hour and the new lcd fit perfectly. Having done it once, I could do another one in a heck of a lot less.

As far as making a DYI, with the unit I bought from Circuit Solutions (eBay), the instructions were just excellent. Step by step, with clear colour pics, and perfect English. So I'm not going to bother with making another DYI.

(BTW, I have no affiliation with Circuit Solutions)

Don't forget, with this kit, you don't get the stock symbols. But I'd rather have the Audi symbols than half-missing numbers and the "rising sun".

Lil bastard 03-12-2008 08:31 PM

Good Job! :dance:

It's the least expensive and seemingly least difficult solution. I should pick one up and shelve it for when that day comes.

silverboxter 03-22-2008 07:15 PM

ordered it thurs nite. got it this morning. took less than an hour. very ez install. instructions are very good. great product. i highly recommend!

redeye280z 10-29-2010 06:36 AM

What was the final price

Quote:

Well, I bought one. With USPS and Canada Post combining their considerable talents, it should get here in about 3 weeks.

The symbols won't be stock, but I'm getting tired of the "rising sun" and missing segments, and the price is right.

Anyone interested in a full DIY?

Can you tell me what was the final price after ups and canada post added all the custums fees and taxes. Thanks would be appreciated?

vipola 10-29-2010 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redeye280z
Can you tell me what was the final price after ups and canada post added all the custums fees and taxes. Thanks would be appreciated?

Ebay Price is never the same..
Try to find the part you want on ebay, try tog et it at a good price, and ask seller for a shipping quote.. it can be between 15-25$ for the shipping depending on the seller and service used.. just try to avoid UPS GROUND because they charge ridiculus brokage fees.. but if you stick with USPS you won't have any surprise :)

redeye280z 10-29-2010 08:54 AM

Brokerage fees

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipola
Ebay Price is never the same..
Try to find the part you want on ebay, try tog et it at a good price, and ask seller for a shipping quote.. it can be between 15-25$ for the shipping depending on the seller and service used.. just try to avoid UPS GROUND because they charge ridiculus brokage fees.. but if you stick with USPS you won't have any surprise :)

My girlfriend works for a customs broker she can save me the fees if I go through her. Does anyone know how I go about letting the seller know not to let ups take care of brokerage and just ship it to my broker instead and she can clear the shipment?

clickman 10-29-2010 09:31 AM

I'd buy it directly from Module Master:

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/services/rebuild_info.php

It was 2-1/2 years ago, and I paid $53 for the unit (no price increase!) and $20 for USPS shipping.

As I used USPS / Canada Post, I think I may have avoided the GST and brokerage charges. If you get UPS to do it, I think the brokerage is something ridiculous like $50-60. Plus tax.

(That's why I get frustrated in buying my parts in the states. They're cheaper to start, but then you're into the ridiculous shipping and brokerage fees, or it's a seller that's been burned and wants too much personal information. Rant over.)

The install is super easy with clear straightforward instructions. Just be aware that mine had the Audi symbols, not Porsche, but for hundreds of $ I couldn't care less!