Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #1

Question Hardtop Aluminum vs Fiberglass

I have only seen very little information about comparison of aluminum factory hardtop vs. fiberglass one (http://www.gtmotorsport.net/index.php?menu=Boxster+Street&page=Hardtop) . I am planning on getting hardtop soon for DE events and Track because I don’t want to get KB roll bar extension to pass broom test since in few years I will prepare my car for BSR. So I would like to know which one is lighter, incase of accident how would each behave, and anything else that someone might know?

blueillusion97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:05 AM   #2

GTMotorsports no longer makes the fiberglass hard top. So that solves your problem. They really need to remove it from their web site. Apparently it was a supply and demand issue. Not enough people were buying them.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #3

I would plan for the worst. In either case, the tops are NOT strong enough to support the weight of the car.. thus, they can either fly off, or crush down onto you. IIRC, there are only 3-4 mounting points for the hardtop.

BK, could be a better alternative. Used, I paid about $350. New, about $700. Then again.. And believe me, there seems to be an active market for "previously owned" BK bars because of the Price issue you mention. Think about it though.. it is only your head and neck you are looking to protect. How much does a new head or neck run these days?

people, myself included, have a very personal take on what is safe and what is not. And people seem to love to spend huge amounts of money on "go fast" items, tires, extra rims, etc.. why not spend $2-3k on safety - helmet, gloves, shoes, Head and Neck restraint, seats, harnesses etc. That money will be good for "3-5" years. Tires? Spend $1200 and good for maybe 1 season.

Just some free banter..

As Bell helmets had in their ads many years ago :

" If you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet "
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
" If you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet "
i suppose my head is $700 then
...thats a bummer gtmotorsport doesnt make that top anymore....But with BK bar i think i still wouldnt pass the broom test....i have Arai helmet and with my top up i maybe have 1/2" left but probably less...i might even have to get new seats ......thanx for everyones help and suggestions, if someone knows something more ill gladly read
Old 02-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #5

Update: GTmotorsport hardtop still available....One guy from BSR just got it few days ago from them
Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #6

GTMotorsports...

Anyone ever order form them? I was thinking of getting the side skirts from them, but wanted to know it anyone had any comments on the quality/fitment...?
JoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #7

I just bought a GT Motorsports fiberglass top about two or so weeks ago for my BSR. They had excellent customer service and the top is great... FWIW
kgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Blue,

Here in Calif. they don't require the BK bar for track days/DE's with the PCA or Speedventures as long as you run in stock classes. It is either a top up day or top down day depending on the track.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Blue,

Here in Calif. they don't require the BK bar for track days/DE's with the PCA or Speedventures as long as you run in stock classes. It is either a top up day or top down day depending on the track.
Guess who made my day?.....in that case the top can wait a little while untill i start going to tracks with groups that do require it or i get tired of my glazed plastic rear window(might be very soon), i remember i read a thread quite a while ago where someone mentioned that at willow springs they were doing a broom test...but maybe he didnt go with PCA....So it seems that when i will be getting a hardtop i will go with gtmotorsport
Old 02-29-2008, 01:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgorman
I just bought a GT Motorsports fiberglass top about two or so weeks ago for my BSR. They had excellent customer service and the top is great... FWIW
I was just reading about your build on bsr forum....good job, when are you planning to start running with it in BSR, would be interesting to look at it up close....i still need couple years untill i tear mine down
Old 02-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueillusion97
Guess who made my day?.....in that case the top can wait a little while untill i start going to tracks with groups that do require it or i get tired of my glazed plastic rear window(might be very soon), i remember i read a thread quite a while ago where someone mentioned that at willow springs they were doing a broom test...but maybe he didnt go with PCA....So it seems that when i will be getting a hardtop i will go with gtmotorsport
I've never had the broomstick test at Willow. I also don't track w/ the top down either. I figure that just draws more attention. That said, I just ordered a hard top from GTmotorsports today to replace my factory hardtop. It should save 25-30 lbs
Old 03-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjae
I've never had the broomstick test at Willow. I also don't track w/ the top down either. I figure that just draws more attention. That said, I just ordered a hard top from GTmotorsports today to replace my factory hardtop. It should save 25-30 lbs
I noticed my plastic window is starting to crack, so i might have to get a hardtop pretty soon.....would you mind posting few pics of a hardtop when you receive it from inside the car and out?