Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #1

19 Carrera S Rims

Looking to buy 19" Carrera S rims for my 2002 Boxster S.

Not sure if it is wise to go from 17" to 19"?

If someone has this setup coud you please send pic's!!!!

I would also love any input.

My 02 is not lowered or have a body kit.

Thanks
D-Man

DMAN2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #2

Thumbs up 19" Carrera S Wheels

I have 19" Carrera S wheels on my car.
235 in Front and 265 in the rear.
Great handling, especially cornering.
Rather Stiff, but the looks more than make up for it!!!

Basalt Black Metallic / Black Top Special Colour, Silver Grey Leather, Instrument Dials Black 997, Tiptronic S, Heated Seats, 19" Carrera S Rims, Multi Function Steering Wheel with PCM, Crested Wheel Caps, Cruise Control, PASM 987, Alarm + Remote (433 MHz), Wind Deflector + Storage, Auto Climate Control, Sports Chrono Package Plus, ‘BOSE’ Sound System, CD Changer CDC-4, Self Dimming Mirror + Rain Sensor, Power Seats + Driver Memory, PCM 2, Bi-Xenon with Headlamp Cleaning.
manguasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:12 AM   #3

Garage
Looks great, I was considering the same rims, are they OE? If not, where and from whom did you get them from? How much? Thanks

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #4

Cool Yes, OE

Hi tboyer,

Yes, they are OE.

No clue as to how much they cost seperately.

Cheers,

Manguasha

Basalt Black Metallic / Black Top Special Colour, Silver Grey Leather, Instrument Dials Black 997, Tiptronic S, Heated Seats, 19" Carrera S Rims, Multi Function Steering Wheel with PCM, Crested Wheel Caps, Cruise Control, PASM 987, Alarm + Remote (433 MHz), Wind Deflector + Storage, Auto Climate Control, Sports Chrono Package Plus, ‘BOSE’ Sound System, CD Changer CDC-4, Self Dimming Mirror + Rain Sensor, Power Seats + Driver Memory, PCM 2, Bi-Xenon with Headlamp Cleaning.
manguasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #5

Hi, I'm thinking of exactly the same wheels for my '97.....except I'd *like* to get them in 18" if possible (18x8 front, 18x9.5 rear). I've read a few posts about the '97 years not being able to handle 18's, let alone 19's according to Porsche recommendations. Something about the extra stresses....

Also, aren't the newest Boxsters running tires with an overall diamter of 26" in the rear versus the 97-04 years running 25"er's front and rear?

The 19" tire/wheels sidewall is not as low using tires with a 26" diameter versus the same 19"er's with a 25" OA diameter tire.

Last, the OE Carrera wheels are a 9.5" width, so the sidewall extends past the edge of the rim, but most aftermarket Carrera wheels are either 9" or 10". Seems like the OE width tire size looks "stretched" over the 10" rim a little in the pics I've seen.

I'd appreciate any education on this before I buy!

~M
michael_dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #6

There are different offsets required for 996/986 cars vs 997/ 987 cars, both front and rear. Insofar as I have looked, 997 wheels do not fit on 986 cars without using spacers, especially in the rear. The Boxster needs a rear offset which is between 911 narrow body and wide body.

Most 996 fitments you see for a 10" wide wheel are ET65, 911 Turbo wheels don't fit as they are 11" wide and ET45. What you want for a 10" rear is about ET45, with an 8" wide front around ET50.

There are multiple companies making factory knock offs, but they are certainly going to be heavier than factory wheels, as well as likely not as strong. Add in resale, and I would tend to be inclined to work with factory wheels in the appropriate size to avoid spacers.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #7

19's are the best in my opinion.
rule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
There are different offsets required for 996/986 cars vs 997/ 987 cars, both front and rear. Insofar as I have looked, 997 wheels do not fit on 986 cars without using spacers, especially in the rear. The Boxster needs a rear offset which is between 911 narrow body and wide body.

Most 996 fitments you see for a 10" wide wheel are ET65, 911 Turbo wheels don't fit as they are 11" wide and ET45. What you want for a 10" rear is about ET45, with an 8" wide front around ET50.

There are multiple companies making factory knock offs, but they are certainly going to be heavier than factory wheels, as well as likely not as strong. Add in resale, and I would tend to be inclined to work with factory wheels in the appropriate size to avoid spacers.

Patrick
Patrick is right about the offsets. I just ordered SportTechno replica wheels, should be in tomorrow. If you are going to go the replica route make sure you keep your OEM wheels in case you want to sell the car later, unless your buyer is interested with the replicas.

I had my doubts for buying replicas but a lot of different sources, including this forum here, reassured me in a way that they are as strong as OEM and really have no difference besides the OEM stamp. Their weight differences are minimal.

I guess I will find out in two days! Good luck with whatever you do.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:12 PM   #9

Thanks for that info Patrick....I noticed how light weight the OE stockers really are. I assume the larger diameter wheels would be a little heavier as well...and replicas even a little more. I like the ride quality of the stockers...I use mine for weekend trips to Napa often, about a 150 mile round trip. The roads are less than ideal this time of year....too mant potholes and crappy pavement patch seams. So much for our gas tax dollars....

I'd like to avoid spacers as well.

But I am drooling for an M030 kit......

Please post your impression of your new wheels Absolut.

~M

michael_dba is offline   Reply With Quote