Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #81

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
I realize this is a thread ressurection, but I noticed the pictures of the car have the black honeycomb pieces removed from the roll-bar. Do you (or anyone who has done this) notice any problems at speed with this?

I'm considering removing them, and even the plastic windscreen, simply to stop their incessant movement and to prevent the fear of losing them at high speeds. I had one black honeycomb pop out when I was doing about 40mph, and thank god it just floated on top of the convertible top area....I was able to retrieve it

Joe
there are many a boxster that is missing the passenger wind screen simply because they dont know anything about the car they are in (often) and recline the seat and out it goes onto the highway.

what I have heard done is to take a small black zip tie and fasten the bottom then when it gets it sure the top may pop out but it goes no-where.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:37 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
Do you (or anyone who has done this) notice any problems at speed with this?

Joe, I believe these parts are an option, although a very common option. I know some owners don't have them though. The car is designed aerodynamically to function just fine without the rear windscreen or seat honeycomb inserts. They're made to just reduce wind buffeting in the cockpit at speed. I've done the zip tie fix and mine stay in place and do not rattle.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:16 AM   #83

Thanks all.

I'm going to zip-tie the honeycombs (and see what else I can do to quiet them) and remove the plastic windscreen. I'm guessing windscreen removal is simple clips, but somehow difficult from all the people who have broken those clips I'll be gentle...

I have two big complaints with my boxster right now:

1. My honeycombs and windscreen rattle and shake incessantly
2. My 225/40/18 - 265/35/18 michelin pilot sports either lost a balancing weight, or bent a rim. They are nowhere near the smoothness level michelin's are known for...

If I can resolve #1, and work on #2, I will be one happy camper.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #84
kpm

Joe, I took the seat mesh and the windscreen out and could not be happier !! Both the Mrs. and myself can't tell the difference. If you're worried about messing up your hair, wear a hat !!

I'd sell my mesh inserts if they weren't both missing a clip at the bottom.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #85

I resolved my rattling headrest windguards with a small piece of double sided tape right in the bottom middle of the piece. A piece of foam tape would be as effective.
Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Joe, I believe these parts are an option, although a very common option. I know some owners don't have them though. The car is designed aerodynamically to function just fine without the rear windscreen or seat honeycomb inserts. They're made to just reduce wind buffeting in the cockpit at speed. I've done the zip tie fix and mine stay in place and do not rattle.

Kirk
Yup - they're an option and the main purpose is to reduce cabin buffeting at speed. My car didn't come with them but I purchased them and installed them.

I'm looking for more info on the 987 conversion. I'd really like to do a Spyder conversion on my 986S.
poor-sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:29 AM   #87

Niiice

I know there are different views on the bumpers, but I abolutely luv the gt3 bumper on the boxster. Questions: What kinda wheels are those? What kinda wing are those? Great looking car man!
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:00 AM   #88

By far the coolest bumper I have seen.

Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote