986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Porsche vs. Insurance Co. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15516)

victory3 02-20-2008 04:12 PM

Porsche vs. Insurance Co.

So up here in the great Pacific Northwest the sun is just starting to return to our side of the world. Slowly the days of rain, drizzle and just plain darn cold are starting to retreat. Looming upon the horizon are what Porsche Lovers call TRACK DAYS!!! However since I am a somewhat new owner of a boxster I missed last years track days. Yes I had the car during the appropriate season but, was still new to it and still just getting use to it, its sounds, its smells, its handling, and its little quirks that comes with every car which gives it its own personality.

So the question is: If I go out on the track, and we do have a few decent ones out here near Seattle and Portland, and (may both the speed & Porsche gods forbid it.) something goes wrong and the Boxster has a little accident. What if one of those "OOPs!" moments take place on said track day? How will my insurance Co. feel about this? I don't think that my insurance company would be very willing to cover any possible damages to the car because it was intentionally tracked. Has anybody had any type of experience with this combination? Track Day Mishap Vs. Insurance Co.

How I Imagine the Conversation Going: Um yeah Hi, I'd like to file a claim. I tore my bumper apart because I hit a tight curve at 120mph too fast and spun out, will you guys cover that? No....I'm What? $crewed?

-Victory3
01 Box S in Arctic Silver.

Lil bastard 02-20-2008 04:51 PM

Yep, you'd be screwed. Insurance policies almost always have a disclaimer preventing coverage for competitive, track or timed events. They'll just walk away.

If you have an incident, you either have to lie to your ins. co. (not always possible if a Police Report is required (not to mention any moral ambiguity), or eat the loss yourself.

But, you can get Track Day insurance or 1day insurance. There are several companies which offer it.

American Collectors Insurance offers a Drivers Education program for club sponsored Driving events such as PCA events. Also, contact your agent or PCA, they'll be able to offer more alternatives.

racer_d 02-20-2008 05:23 PM

Yup.. Read your policy.. Ask for a copy of all exlusions... then look into buying Track Day or DE insurance. Not cheap.. Usually 10% of the value of the car, plus a deductible (most people mention in the $5k range) then have fun.

More and more Ins Cos are wising up.. Adding vague, but arguable language like "practicing for speed events" or "at a racetrack or venue designed for racing" etc.

Or, you could be lucky.. have an incident, the company covers you (once) before you know it, no renewal allowed without a gross rate adj, or dropped all together.

Another reason why you see lots of cheap ass Porsches at the track. A full on 944 racecar can be had for under $10k and its "self insured"...

To others, the rewards of track driving far outweigh the risks.

bmussatti 02-21-2008 06:12 AM

How are accidents handled at track events when two or more cars are involved? Is each owner responsible for their own damage? Is their "track etiquette" and a "code of conduct" to resolve these issues?

NickCats 02-21-2008 06:39 AM

I often wonder the same regarding autocross events. I can see it would be difficult explaining an accident that occurred at the track, but if something happened during an autocross, since you are really just in someone's parking lot, how would this be handled by the insurance company ? Would you get a police report ? Would the police note on the report that an "event" was going on, or just the facts of the incident ? Anyone know ?

Nick

Lil bastard 02-21-2008 07:22 AM

Auto-X would be considered a Timed Event (which it is). And with usually only 2 cars on opposite ends of the course at any time, a 2 car incident is unlikely.

In a Track event, it's pretty much everyone fending for themselves - you repair your own car. Injury liability could come into play though.

Another thing, damage to the Track is pretty much Pay-on-Demand. Take out a barrier or guardrail and you're out-of-pocket before you leave the Track (if other arrangements haven't been made). This can tack on a couple thousand more than just the damage to your car. It cracks me up (in a weird way) when I see the look on a Track rookie's face as he gets handed a bill to replace the guardrail that just took out his car.

TriGem2k 02-21-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
It cracks me up (in a weird way) when I see the look on a Track rookie's face as he gets handed a bill to replace the guardrail that just took out his car.

Thats ************************ funny........ Man that must SUCK!

racer_d 02-21-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Thats ************************ funny........ Man that must SUCK!

no kidding..

Salt? Meet Wound ;)