Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 06:41 AM   #1

Tire flatspots - any perm. damage?

Got the car out last night for the first time in a few weeks (too long) and noticed that I had some pretty major flatspotting that took a while to go away (so cold here).

Questions:
1) Will flatspotting do any permanent damage to the tires?
2) Should I fill them to the maximum pressure listed in the tires' sidewalls (18" Dunlops) to help?

Atari-style PCM Navigation
OEM Carrera Lights
B&M clone short shifter
Crappy stereo
HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
bmussatti

It should come out after a few heat cycles. Just might take a while or until the Spring due to the current weather.

If you are letting the car sit for weeks-on-end, the tires should be over-inflated to 58 PSI to prevent flat spotting. This is noted in your Owner's Manual.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #3

What is this, "Owner's Manual" you speak of? Kidding. I did a search, but couldn't find an answer, thanks for the response.
Atari-style PCM Navigation
OEM Carrera Lights
B&M clone short shifter
Crappy stereo
HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIFI
What is this, "Owner's Manual" you speak of? Kidding. I did a search, but couldn't find an answer, thanks for the response.
HIFI, we have discussed this a lot over the years. Try searching under "Winter Storage" and you will see more posts/threads about flat-spotting.

I also park on top of hard rubber pads you would find in a health club weight room. Bought the tiles at Lowes. The 1st of every month (during winter storage) I also roll the car, by hand, approx. 10-12 inches.

Certain tire bands flat spot more than others. You usually hear that Pirelli's flat spot quickly.