Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2004, 06:32 PM   #1

Drove C6 Corvette Yesterday

I got the chance to drive the new C6 Corvette yesterday. I'm sure all of you have read the ridiculously positive reviews in various car magazines. I was impressed; however I didn’t think it really drove any better than the Boxster, definitely not enough to make me want to trade in for one. It definitely didn’t feel like it had 400hp compared to my measly 220. Overall a very nice car and you can't beat the price.

I went to this

www.autoshowinmotion.com

Did anyone else get a chance to do this? If it is coming to a town near you, I highly recommend it. It was totally free and you get to drive a bunch of nice cars that belong to other people as hard as you like. The Cadillac STS power slides like crazy, the Saturn ION Redline is surprisingly fun to drive. The new GTO sounds awesome, but has a little more bark than bite. I though the G6 drove better. They let you drive an H2 on an offroad course.

check it out if you can.

Old 10-10-2004, 08:38 PM   #2

Been Boxstering for over 5 years. Corvette was one of the cars I tried back then. Wonder how things would be today if I was on the Vette forums and in a local group.

Went on a long drive last year with the local Corvette group just for grins. The name of the run was "grip and rip." And they did just that. Followed that fat C5 butt for hours on that drive.

Porsche. No substitute.

Chevy. No substitute for cubic inches.

I pedaled my 2.5 hard to keep up with cars with over twice the hp. But I could pass them in the twisties if I closed my eyes and prayed.

I am going to check out the C6 since the Chevy dealer is down the street from my Porsche dealer.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 09:52 PM   #3
Lux

I was almost an owner of an '04 Z06. Have a few friends that own C5s so I'm pretty familiar with them. Corvette does a lot of things very well.

That said, it feels like you're doing business with a chainsaw instead of a scalpel. Not a bad thing...just different. I'm guessing the new C6 is very similiar to the C5 Z06 (from what I've read).

It's a helluva bang-for-the-buck and would be a good addition to a Boxster. I don't think I could live with it as a replacement to the Boxster though.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:59 PM   #4

If Chevy would cut the top off the Z06 or whatever is the current version. I just might.....

Funny to see my car next to a Vette now that I think about it, and there was about 20 others. I was the only Boxster. I would not tell them where the engine was on my car.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 10-10-2004 at 11:05 PM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:54 AM   #5
Lux

Quote:
Originally posted by Tool Pants
If Chevy would cut the top off the Z06 or whatever is the current version. I just might.....
The C6 (latest) convertible is for all intents and purposes equivalent to the previous top dog (the C5 Z06) in performance.

But I'll also add in that when I was looking for a Z06, it was because they were blowing them out due to the C6 coming out. $42K for a new one was the going rate and $36K for '02s with around 2K miles were the norm outside of CA. Courtesy on Stevens Creek was still trying to sell at msrp . Carl Chevrolet was willing to give me $10K off sticker. That is where I think the car is worth it. I don't think the car is worth $50K for a coupe and $60K for a convertible.

If you are really interested, I can point you to dealers from the midwest and east that are already discounting up to $2K for the C6. You can either have it transported to SJ or 'courtesy delivered' to your nearest dealer. I'd recommend the former and not the latter. One of my friends did this. Everything went smooth and he was able to save a large chunk of cash vs. the Bay Area stealers. PM me if you want more info.

Quote:
I would not tell them where the engine was on my car.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:12 PM   #6

I have always thought they are the ugliest cars ever made.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:31 AM   #7

"I have always thought they are the ugliest cars ever made."

Wow, that is hard to believe . . . I assume this is a missprint.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:44 AM   #8

The Corvette currently holds a lone distinction in my head as being the ONLY American built car that I would even consider purchasing. As far as looks, I will say that the C6 looks far better in person than any of the magazine photos that I saw. I'm not a big fan of the looks of the C4, however I think the C5 is pretty sharp.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterJoyce
I have always thought they are the ugliest cars ever made.
What are you smoking over in D.C.?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 04:54 PM   #10
Forum Contributor

I agree with PeterJoyce, to an extent. I wouldn't say "ugliest cars ever made", but they certainly don't have the appeal that most European sports cars have IMHO.
sTTevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 07:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by sTTevo
I agree with PeterJoyce, to an extent. I wouldn't say "ugliest cars ever made", but they certainly don't have the appeal that most European sports cars have IMHO.
I've seen the new C6 and think it is every bit as good looking as the exotics. Hats off to the Corvette team for the C6.

As far as to the would you buy one question....tough call, when shopping for my Boxster I was cross shopping the Corvette. The biggest factor was I didn't want flip lights on a modern car. I'd tolerate it on older Ferrari's/Lambos (but I'm not exactly shopping those.) At the end of 2007 (extended warranty on my 01 Box expires) and when these cars are "used" I will have a difficult time deciding between the 997 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 987 S and C6 Corvette Convertible. Most likely will just come down to what I find as the best bargain for my buck in terms of available cars.

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote