Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #1

2002 Boxster S vs. 2002-2005 BMW M3

I hate to say it but I am thinking of trading in my car for a BMW M3.. I need more room and the Boxster is not enough.. Would love a 911 but its not in the budget just yet. So I figured an M3 would be a good replacement car.. Fast, larger, looks good.. Anyone with any experience you can share from both cars?

Also, I have OEM GT3 seats in my car, would you sell them with the car or separate? They are almost brand new and I can't say enough good things about them..

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate your thoughts here..

*youth is wasted on the young*

Photos of my Boxster S

Painted center console, artic silver
, De Snorkle, 18" Carrera lightweight - 285-30-18 - Fabspeed Exhaust

http://www.cristopherbenitah.com/boxster.jpg
cbenitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #2

one of my bros has a 2004 m3 as well as one of my friends...its an awesome car if u need more room but still want a sporty car. In my opinion the coupe is much better looking then the convertible though Also they're really safe and easy to drive in the winters. Both cars are equally fun to drive even though i still prefer the boxster, but if you ask my brother or friend they'll say they would never drive a box over their m3's. it all depends on what you want...i say go test drive one, they have a lot of potential for mods and overall if you need more space i think you'll like it.

One thing to remember is its a totally diff type of beast when comparing it to the boxster, when i drive my brothers i feel like im in an suv, to me it seems much higher from the ground (my box is lowered though) and of course its quieter then the box. I like the fact that i can actually feel the motor when i rev my engine, in the m3 its not really that kinda feeling.overall it performs really well and I do have to say is more comfrtable to sit in then our cars haha
Also, its a little cheaper to mod and maintain so i guess that could be a plus

Good luck with your decision

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #3

I was picking up a 04 E46 M3 convertible instead of my boxsterS. The dealer took the car for a smog check and all the paperworks were ready for me to sign, but then i changed my mind and got the boxsterS. Too many BMW in my life and way too many M3 everywhere I go.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #4

Whats the $$ for that vintage M3? I would have thought low 30s, no? For sure, you could find a pre 2002 911 or perhaps even a similar vintage 911 for mid 30s if you were willing to look a while.

Sell the GT3 as stand alone items. If in good shape, you could get 80% of what you paid for them. They wouldn't even know how to value them if you trade the car in with those seats.
How much more room do you genuinely need? Do you need to haul 4 people all the time? Is it luggage space? Personally I would rather keep a Porsche and a ****************box sedan/wagon/small suv for those few times a year I really needed the extra room (or just rent/borrow something if it is truly that infrequent).
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #5

I think it is a pretty good idea. I plan to sell my Boxster this Spring and hope to pick up the new M3 Sedan (4 door) at the end of this year or beginning of 2009. I really want a car that is more practical but remains sporty and can be taken to the track on occasion. M3 seems to be the best option.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #6

A 3-4 year old car is now vintage ?

I'm looking at all kinds of M3's and they range from 22k-35k for similar milage, options, year etc etc

I wouldn't want a pre 2002 911 due to them being somewhat unreliable.. I know its from car to car, but I'd rather have a 2004-2008 911 but thats not happening right now, can't justify that right now.

I tired to have a beater car but it takes out the joy every time I looked at it.. Let alone drove it.

I would like to keep the seats in the car but if someone does not want them I will put the stock seats in (luckily I saved them)

I still need to browse around before I make my decision, but I'd rather have the E46 body style, think it looks more aggressive than the newer E90/92/93..

Ok, here is a tough one, WHY should I keep it and WHY should I not keep it, any takers on that broad question?

Photos of my Boxster S

Old 02-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #7

Marc,
I agree with you with almost everything you say.. I too have rented cars for the weekend or the day or whatever I needed. I just feel that a 4 seater would be more practical down the line. I am not saying that my boxster is the last car I will own, far from it. But more room would be nice. I like to drive and if we are going somewhere then its me and one more.. I am not raising a family here so that is not the issue, it is the everyday usefulness of a slightly larger car, in my mind a car with a backseat. I like the performance of the boxster, it is a bit on the low side but more than enough for a sporty every day car. I'm torn on what to do here..But any comment helps, and remember that I am still on the Boxsters Side. Although my brain tells me I should come to my sense and have a 4 seater..

Although I do not want 4 doors. 2 is just fine no matter what the size car I will get. Passengers go out an in on the right side anyway :dance:

Photos of my Boxster S

Old 02-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #8

Advantages of the M3 include an outstanding power plant with plenty of acceleration and good power distribution across the rev range.

Real (usable) back seats.

Not as good of handling but better than most things out there.

Nice and functional interior - well made.

Bigger trunk space plus fold down rear seats compared to 911's. You can get a lot of stuff in an M3.

Overall, they are great cars. It will not be as viscerally connected to the road but it handles very well and has considerable more power (numbers and feeling). Put that thing in sport mode and it's a beast.
larryshomework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #9

What about a WRX STi? Or even an Evo? I know.. ricer Maybe they are all over where you live (then again, if you live in Cali, M3s are all over the place too). Audi S4/RS4? MB Class AMG (C32?) could also be comparables. How about the previous generation M5? Thats larger

Ok.. So, you'd like to be able to haul, on occasion, more than one person.

What other things in your life would you need more space for? Why not just be the one who "gets a ride" instead of giving the rides?

My dad has a previous gen (E36) M3 sedan. It is a fantastic car. I would argue it to be equal or better than the Boxster (even an S) from an ease to drive and performance value. I would say even better steering feel than my Boxster had. E36 cars, even "excellent" ones, can be had for under 20K, with most in the $12-14K range. They are a great value and also worth considering. Heck, you could save some coin by going a bit older, and have a little nest egg for that 996/997 down the line.

I don't think either car is a bad one (E46 or E36 or Box S). A friend of mine recently traded his 1995 993 Coupe for an E46 M3 because he wanted room for his little kids. Loves the M3, but misses the 993 everyday.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:02 PM   #10

I guess it's a good move, since space is your main complaint.

For me though, it'd be hard to go to the e46 body style since the e92 version has been out for a while now. I'd probably take a 335i Coupe over the e46 M3. With the turbos, that car is about as fast, and fresher looking -not that the "vintage" Bimmer looks bad. Could you do something like that?

I'm still dying to drive an M Coupe. Have you considered that?
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #11

I guess as well here.. It feels like wanting to get rid of something more than just a car. But then again, it is more than just a car for me. I feel the E36 body style is a very strong one but a bit outdated in some way. I do like the E46.

What other car out there would you recommend if YOU were thinking of switching. I do not want to really sacrifice the sportiness if I can call it that.

I did look at the mini coopers too. as you can see, I'm a bit confused here on what to get that would make me satisfied and also something that would justify a swap.

Photos of my Boxster S

Old 02-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdex
I am still going to vote against the M3... it will cost more then the Porsche to run, for a lesser performing car...

Marc

Curious how you see the M3 to be a lesser performing car? I would say its faster than ours, in many aspects, straight line and sometimes even on track (depends on the driver but still)

Photos of my Boxster S

Old 02-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #13

Quote:
it will cost more then the Porsche to run, for a lesser performing car...

Marc

I would have to disagree with both of those...the Porsche definitely costs slightly more to run/mod, etc. then a BMW M3 I know this for a fact because my brother did a ton of modifications and they all cost less then the stuff I did to my boxster or would like to do...

Second, I love Porsches and obviously my boxster but I wouldn't say that an M3 is a 'lesser" performing car. An M3 is about .1-.2 in front of the boxster S (let alone a boxster) on the track, let alone a modded M3 and they are very easy to mod.

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenitah
Curious how you see the M3 to be a lesser performing car? I would say its faster than ours, in many aspects, straight line and sometimes even on track (depends on the driver but still)
I owned a M3. It is NOT lesser performing car, period. That guy has no idea.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:38 PM   #15

well if you need the space, then you need the space.

if it was me, i'd get an s4, or a c32. both those cars have lots of TQ.

before the boxster, I was going to get the e46M3. I was set on it. Then I drove it. In the SMG and manual. It honestly didn't feel much faster than my B6 A4 3.0QM. And my audi is not a fast car. The m3 just doesn't have the TQ. Top end its fine, but light to light it doesn't FEEL fast.

The exhaust note also wasn't my favorite either. I like the way my audi sounds way more.

I have driven both at autox, and I like my boxster more. The M3 is a bit on the heavy side. but then again, all cars seem to be gravitating that way.

is the m3 a bad choice? no. are you looking for some reassurance here? it sounds like it, and from the sounds of it, most of the people including me think that it isn't a bad idea. it just wasn't my cup of tea, so i got the boxster. and couldn't be happier.

FWIW, if you are into forums, and hanging out with fellow car owners, my buddy just got an e46 # series, and he likes the audi crowd more. Not sure if that means anything to you or not.
Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2DTM
I owned a M3. It is NOT lesser performing car, period. That guy has no idea.
Performance not in the aspect of straight line acceleration. There are lots of cars that are quick in a straight line, but overall balance of the car... Few cars in the world can touch the balance of the Boxster. As far as an idea, I have been around the track since I was 6, but don't take my word for it many of the "Pro's" who teach at the PDE, BMW driving schools (including the head of the BMW program) all point to the Boxster as being a far better handling car then anything BMW produces.

Mostly stock... except for all the things that are changed.
www.dexterautosport.com

http://www.pbase.com/image/89146172.jpg
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:44 AM   #17

A stock M3 is a very quick car but it's severely hampered by its soft suspension, narrow wheels, and lack of camber.

With a few basic modifications - stiffer springs and better shocks, camber plates and wider front wheels and tires, the M3 will annihilate a Boxster in terms of numbers...

... but the Boxster will be more rewarding and more fun to drive. And it sounds much better.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:29 AM   #18

Before buying my 2002S I was also considering an M3. My dealer, who is also a client ,with over 30 years experience in dealing with used high end cars, porsche, BMW Mercedes, etc. said you really have to watch used M3's. Many are driven hard and abused by less experienced drivers. Its the Mustang/Camaro of the more affluent.
Triumphblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:01 AM   #19

The discussion is really interesting to me because I narrowed my search to a Boxster S or an M3. The only advantage I found to the M3 was that it has rear seats. I drove the M3 first and was very impressed with the performance. The engine is awesome, but there was a real lack of driving excitement. I did not feel connected to the road. I didn't feel the speed at all, which I don't consider a good thing (perhaps some people do!). The whole driving experience left me numb. Then I test drove the 05 Boxster S! Oh good lord! I knew immediately that I found my car! The whole driving experience was in a work, magical!

I know that I am not as qualified as many to make a judgement, because I have very little experience with either car; however, the experience is very fresh in my mind.

Best of all, I pick up my 05 Boxster S today! Woo Hoo!!!

In my humble opinion, you will give up quite a lot to gain the extra room. That's life. My sister hates her mini van, but she does what she needs to do! If you need the room, than you have to give something up. I personally think you will regret the decision. Is it possible that you just have an itch for something different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenitah
Marc,
I agree with you with almost everything you say.. I too have rented cars for the weekend or the day or whatever I needed. I just feel that a 4 seater would be more practical down the line. I am not saying that my boxster is the last car I will own, far from it. But more room would be nice. I like to drive and if we are going somewhere then its me and one more.. I am not raising a family here so that is not the issue, it is the everyday usefulness of a slightly larger car, in my mind a car with a backseat. I like the performance of the boxster, it is a bit on the low side but more than enough for a sporty every day car. I'm torn on what to do here..But any comment helps, and remember that I am still on the Boxsters Side. Although my brain tells me I should come to my sense and have a 4 seater..

Although I do not want 4 doors. 2 is just fine no matter what the size car I will get. Passengers go out an in on the right side anyway :dance:
greg9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #20

Quote:
I am still going to vote against the M3... it will cost more then the Porsche to run, for a lesser performing car... Heck, at the track a Porsche CTT is just as quick as an M3 so if your going to step down in performance, why not get better functionality thrown in? Audi's are great street cars, and the quattro is a great safety feature to boot.
I would have to disagree with this assessment. The M3 performs better on some aspects and worse on others. It is short on handling but superior on overall power and power delivery (IMHO). Also, handling and feel is relative. It's not as good as the Box but it's better than just about everything else on the road.

I've owned and driven many Audi's. The are great cars with awesome interiors. However, they have even less handling feel than the BMW's. Quattro is nice but the steering feel is more numb than the BMW.

I loved the BMW's I've owned/own and the Box. The Box is more engaging to drive but the M3 is sweet as well - I'd like to have both.

larryshomework is offline   Reply With Quote