Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #1

Key battery replacement - Remote locking model

Hi again.

Have had a quick search on this site but was unable to find a section on battery replacement for the remote locking model (1998 Boxster)

Is it ok for me to take the battery out and take it in to have a replacement sourced or will the remote loose function & compatibility between itself and the vehicle?

All help much appreciated

deeveus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #2

No worries. You need to get a 625U 1.5V battery and simply change it (the later cars use a 3.0V Lithium battery - not compatible). The car/alarm is programmed to the remote, not vice-versa, so no issues here.

Simply split the case along the seam using a thumbnail, screwdriver, or pocket knife, swap the battery, and you should be good to go.

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-02-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #3

Hi there. Have just opened the unit to find it has a 3V battery in it (made in switzerland) These are the same battery as found on computer motherboards (CMOS battery)

Still ok to use the same 3V battery or?
deeveus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeveus
Hi there. Have just opened the unit to find it has a 3V battery in it (made in switzerland) These are the same battery as found on computer motherboards (CMOS battery)

Still ok to use the same 3V battery or?
If it was working before with the 3.0V battery, then just replace it with the same one.

I heard some of the early units would accept a 3.0V Lithium, but not all, so I didn't even mention it here. I believe the proper 3.0V Lithium is a CR 2032.

Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote