Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #1

Just tested a Cayman - sticking with the 986 (for now)

I got the upgrade bug when I was in the dealer getting some Audi service done on my wagon.

They had an Atlas Grey (favorite color) Cayman (base) 07 for a pretty good discount.

I waited until today and went in and took it for an hour demo.

Impressions:

I like the interior/room of the 987. The high roof made the Cayman feel quite roomy.

While it has more power, it didn't feel any faster than my base 986 Boxster. At times it felt more stiffly sprung but other times it felt much easier to drive (easier clutch, lighter steering, less abrupt brakes). The hatch captures a lot of the engine noise which is both good and bad. The handling was great - it felt more planted than my Box in tight turns.

Overall, there wasn't enough "Wow" to justify the trade. The discount isn't that great (13.5% on an 07 -- I was looking for more like 16-17%) and the trade offer was low. In short, I'm sticking with the Box for now. Maybe a Cayman S is in my future????

larryshomework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #2

Clearly, sir, your butt-dyno is broken! You couldn't feel the HP difference between a 986 and a Cayman?
Old 02-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Clearly, sir, your butt-dyno is broken! You couldn't feel the HP difference between a 986 and a Cayman?
Broken butt-dyno - where would I get replacement parts for that? Do any of the site's sponsors sell cheek upgrades?

Part of the issue is not revving the Cayman - I kept it under 5k most of the time (once up towards redline).

I was more interested in a torque difference - especially below 3k rpms. Felt about the same as my Box.

I know it's faster, it just didn't feel it in any clearly noticeable way. That said, I'm sure I'd like to have the 987 specs in my 986.

I did drive a Cayman S and that one I could feel!
Old 02-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #4

I don't think I'd trade my 2.5 for a base cayman. If I had the cash though, I'd be at a dealership buying a Cayman S in a heartbeat!

I think I'll go do some scientific testing myself next weekend!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #5

Next door in Atlanta Jim Ellis has a new 07 Cayman S in Atlas Gray. They've knocked $7K off the sticker but there has to be at least another $4-5K left. This particular dealer has 14 Caymans. You'd think with that much inventory and the economy going down the toilet they'd make you a good deal.

It's fun spending other people's money.

http://jim-ellis.porschedealer.com/new_cars/search.php?model=987c
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #6

While I love the looks of a Cayman, I've found that I don't enjoy my Boxster nearly as much with the top up as I do with the top down. There is really no comparison between the two experiences for me. For that reason, I don't know if I could ever be happy with a Cayman.
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Next door in Atlanta Jim Ellis has a new 07 Cayman S in Atlas Gray. They've knocked $7K off the sticker but there has to be at least another $4-5K left. This particular dealer has 14 Caymans. You'd think with that much inventory and the economy going down the toilet they'd make you a good deal.

Yes I saw that - 64 to 57 and I was guessing they'd go to about 54 (17% off). I like the whole set up except for the power seats - lumbar in particular. I know I'm weird but cars with lumbar support adjustment hurt my back whereas ones that don't work fine. For some reason, even on the lowest setting the lumbar support isn't as far back as seating without it. I've noticed this in both Audi's and BMW's. In my current Audi, I had to take the seat apart and remove part of the lumbar support mechanism to get comfortable.

As for the top up vs. topless. I have a convertible already - I love having the top down on the box but I could live with a hard top. I'm probably the only one out there but I'd like to see a sunroof on the Cayman.

Also considering 996's since the prices are dropping. Damn this disease...
Old 02-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I was deciding between Cayman and Boxster, and the convertible top is what decided it for me. I drove a new Cayman and an '04 Boxster S, and the clutch in the Boxster was much more stiff. I was told though that the new Boxster should feel like the new Cayman did in the clutch.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #9

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster

I found the Ellis guys to be ************************************s. They haven't a history of real discounting and I caught them running my personal credit on a biz only lease. Call around, you can get a better deal almost anywhere.

And their service sux.

Porscheburn is offline   Reply With Quote