986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Owner.. ipod question, rims question, spoiler question (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15226)

tbplayer22 01-29-2008 11:31 AM

New Owner.. ipod question, rims question, spoiler question

Howdy fellas. I just purchased a 2001 Silver Boxster last month and have been lurking here ever since. There are lots of good post and an abundance of information. I have 3 questions that I have not been able to find the answers to on the forum. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

1. I have the CDR-220 and I bought the cord for IPOD integration. This is the cord that goes into the bottom of the IPOD and not into the in-line jack. Anyway I got it to work without any problems. The only thing is I couldn't figure out how to connect the power when I installed the cable. Has anyone hooked up the power from one of these cables to the battery? If so can you tell me how you went about doing it so that I can charge my IPOD while using it in the car.

2. I was wondering if by sight someone knew the name of my rims. This isn't that important I was just curious as to their name and their value. Here are two pictures of them:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6751/dsc00029ob0.jpg
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2296/dsc00033zw8.jpg

3. I understand at 75 mph the automatic spoiler is supposed to come up. My question is do all Boxsters come equipped with this spoiler or is it an option at purchase? I don't know how to tell if I have this or not and I can't tell simply by looking through the rear view mirror. If this is not standard on all Boxsters is there a way I can tell if I definitely have this option or not?

Thanks in advance guys.

Chills 01-29-2008 11:35 AM

Welcome to the board. :cheers:

1. I have a thread called "Power to the iPod" where I discuss one way to power your iPod with the cable you bought. Do a search and you'll find it.

2. I believe they are called Turbo Twists. They look chromed.

3. Yes, all Boxsters have this spoiler. Depending on your model year you'll have a switch down near the fusebox. If you want you can use that to put your spoiler up and down.

Other than that there's no easy way to see its up unless you can see your shadow on the road. I'm sure tall dudes can turn around to see it, but I can't.

tbplayer22 01-29-2008 12:30 PM

Thanks Chills. Appreciate it.

Chills 01-29-2008 01:17 PM

No problem. Glad I could help. :cool:

rick3000 01-29-2008 10:06 PM

For th iPod you are going to want to buy some wire taps and tap the wire's into the phone power cable under the center console. It is pretty simple to do, I have some info. on my site (sig.) if you want to see how I set up my iPod.

Also, all Boxster's came with a spoiler, and if you want to see it go up or down, there is switch in the driver's footwell on the fuse panel cover. You could also install a spoiler indicator light if you wanted to just so you know when it is up or down, and a dash switch to control the spoiler from the dash.
:cheers:

JoshMD 01-30-2008 08:28 AM

Yeah you have to put yourself in a pretty unsafe position at 75+mph to see the spoiler, I had to do it at least once when I first got the car. It was up.

What size are you rear tires?

I'm determined to put 996t wheels on my car, but I've never found someone who's actually tried it.

porsche986spyder 01-30-2008 09:54 AM

I had a friend in the passenger seat look out the back to see if the spoiler was working properly. You may have to put your top down so they can turn around and see, but it's a sure way to find out, without taking your eyes off the road yourself. ;)

tbplayer22 01-31-2008 07:22 AM

265/35 zr18 93w

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshMD

What size are you rear tires?

I'm determined to put 996t wheels on my car, but I've never found someone who's actually tried it.

lapis986 02-29-2008 10:25 AM

plug ipod power -get noise :(

I did the ipod plug on mine a while ago, super easy install with radio keys and code in hand.
problem I encountered was that when i plugged the power line into the fuse panel (open fuse) i got so much hiss that i unplugged it right away. It was better when the ipod backlight was on, but got louder whn the light was off. I read on this forum that it could be due to the lack of insulation in the (blau) cable itself, which i agree is the problem. make sure you have a good ground. Chills post is helpful. Which cable did you use?

heres what I do for hours of road music- charge your ipod before leaving the driveway, when it gets low, pull the red charging wire from it's "tucked in position" just above the fuse panel and plug it in to the open fuse to charge your ipod. Some have used the cig lighter to tap into. Mine is set up to charge if car is on or off so while I park for lunch, it charges, pull the wire back out, and enjoy several more hours of music. I have parts for a small in line switch which will eliminate the need to pull fuses out and should make for easy on/off charging. While it is charging I usually just enjoy the exhaust note, or play a new cd.

I insist on clean sound and was really bummed that i could not get the system to play hiss-free music when plugged in, and this option takes literally just a few seconds to connect and disconnect.
I am still struggling with the right mount for the ipod, tried velcro on the dash, didn't hold, so I just ran the plug on the passenger side and put the ipod on the passenger seat. My passengers can also watch videos or movies this way. I am planning to modify a cig lighter "plug" with no power to it and mount the ipod to the part that sticks out of the port (basically it is a solid mount in the right orientation on the dashboard.)