986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   As some have requested... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14923)

conradtan 01-05-2008 05:15 PM

As some have requested...

djomlas as well as others have asked so here's my first attempt at car photography... with OUR car! Haha!

Equipment used:
Canon 30D
Tokina 12-14mm, f/4, @12mm, ISO100, 2second exposure
Hoya Circular Polarized Filter
A tripod
And of course.. my 2001 986
And about an hour freezing in a freak California rainstorm! Haha!
I used a digital blending technique to make the foreground pop as much as the sky. Comments and critiques welcome! (as they say in my photography forum I've recently joined) I did some more post processing to bring out the colors. Hope you all like it! :cheers: http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...scheMedium.jpg

Kurt W 01-05-2008 05:29 PM

Composition... fantastic
Lighting and detail ... breathtaking
Color and scenery ... awesome, truly awesome!
Angle... well, too much rear not enough front (damn wide angles!),
The fact that you took it and its your car ... priceless

But, really, an incredible shot overall. Great pic, I wish I could show something comparable of mine, but I can't ... yet

bmussatti 01-05-2008 06:05 PM

Very cool picture! I would like it better if the shape of the car was not distorted (elongated).

unklekraker 01-05-2008 06:50 PM

hey, conrad..pix looks awesome! a new hobby is what winter does to many of us :D awesome!

where is this one at? and next time you need another model (not me..hahahahaha), call me so we could meet up somewhere and probably use some of your skills to get a pix of the box as frame art :D

BTW...I haven't seen you, foo! I thought you fell off the planet earth :cheers:

rick3000 01-05-2008 07:01 PM

WOW...

... Great Picture!
I really like the colors but the elongation of the Boxster is a bit weird.

FrayAdjacent 01-05-2008 08:21 PM

Beautiful picture!!

blkboxster 01-05-2008 08:31 PM

Very nice

:cheers:

humara 01-05-2008 08:39 PM

great shot. very similar effect to hdr photography.
i don't think the 12mm is doing the car any justice.
why f/4? looks like the background is still in pretty sharp focus. just curious how arrived at that aperture.
keep up the good work

LoveBunny 01-05-2008 09:20 PM

That looks awesome. I love it!

Amfibius 01-05-2008 10:30 PM

Hey, I can see history brush around the poles! Don't be lazy, make an adjustment layer and use that :)

But otherwise, great effort - love the colour. I don't mind too much the distortion, it adds to the pic.

peakpro 01-06-2008 05:17 AM

cool photo...thanks

Frodo 01-06-2008 06:14 AM

I like it.

Nice color saturation---almost gives the effect of an oil painting, especially the sky.

I don't mind the wide angle distortion. Years ago I had an old SLR that I got a 24 mm lens for, and I always loved intentionally distorting stuff for effect. (Example: close up of someone's face, so the nose ended up occupying half the frame. Fun, though not always flattering to the subject!) In your case, it also gives a dynamic quality to the car, almost like it's moving when it's not.

conradtan 01-06-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Very cool picture! I would like it better if the shape of the car was not distorted (elongated).

That's the trouble with the ultra-wide lenses, I wanted to get the clouds with the car, instead I ended up stretching the hell out of the car. Can't have it all! :)

conradtan 01-06-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unklekraker
hey, conrad..pix looks awesome! a new hobby is what winter does to many of us :D awesome!

where is this one at? and next time you need another model (not me..hahahahaha), call me so we could meet up somewhere and probably use some of your skills to get a pix of the box as frame art :D

BTW...I haven't seen you, foo! I thought you fell off the planet earth :cheers:

@Gerry - Hey man! Ya I could use your car as a model for more red sunsets. I think it would look really good. I've been ok, busy with work. You still haven't seen my bike! Haha!

conradtan 01-06-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amfibius
Hey, I can see history brush around the poles! Don't be lazy, make an adjustment layer and use that :)

But otherwise, great effort - love the colour. I don't mind too much the distortion, it adds to the pic.

@Amfibius - Actually, I did not use the history brush at all. That was a direct result of th blending process between an over-exposed and an under-exposed shot of the same scene. I tried to change the radius blending to get rid of it but the extremes between the over and under exposed shots proved to be more than anything I could do to fix. If you want, I could send you both pics to see what you can do. Hehe... Thanks for the critiques. It is much appreciated! :cheers:

conradtan 01-06-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humara
great shot. very similar effect to hdr photography.
i don't think the 12mm is doing the car any justice.
why f/4? looks like the background is still in pretty sharp focus. just curious how arrived at that aperture.
keep up the good work

@humara - Let's see, I arrived at f/4 only because it was really getting dark really fast and I wanted to make sure what available light hit the sensor. I probably didn't need it as it turned out more HDR after blending! That was not my intension at all haha! I should have used my 17mm and stood farther back. Then there would be minimal distortion. Thanks for the critiques! :cheers:

boxs2000 01-06-2008 05:06 PM

Great shot!
Was that shot in Benicia? Looks like the area of 1st St.

conradtan 01-06-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxs2000
Great shot!
Was that shot in Benicia? Looks like the area of 1st St.

@boxs2000 actually the shot was taken off 12th street! Are you from Benicia?

zackwatt 01-06-2008 10:05 PM

WOOOOOOW :eek: :eek: :eek:

conradtan 01-07-2008 03:08 AM

Thanks all! I'll try to get more pictures out soon. They weather has not been cooperating very much for good shooting. I miss having the top down. Haha!