Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 10:56 AM   #1

Questions for front and rear strut bars

For the gentlemen who have installed a front and rear strut bar on their 986, do you think they are worthy? What brand makes the best fitment?
What do you think of this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-Schnell-Strut-Brace-Bar-Front-Mid_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33591QQihZ007QQitem Z170176633449QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Thank you guys for your valuable time!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #2

I put these same braces on the front and rear of my car. The installation was pretty straightforward other than the rear brace interfering with the clips that hold the top curtain down. I bent them in order to get the brace in. No big deal.

Difference was not huge but noticeable. For the money, you just can't go wrong.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #3

Strut Braces

I've the same on my car, feel they improved the steering feel and the general responsiness of the chassis.

Bought them on Ebay when they had a 'best offer' going and got them under $200.

Install is fairly easy ... only access to the rear problamatical.

Only prob I've had is when removing the battery ... oem battery would not clear and had to remove bar to get battery out.

Good luck.
Reynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #4

I have the same bars. I think it was a good buy. They went in easily and i would use the word "crisp" to describe the improvement. I tracked my car without the bars many time and was always satisfied. The first time with the bars I was pleasantly surprised. I could rotate the more easily through tight curves and there was less flex and more control. i don't have lap times to verify any of this, but it felt much quicker. If there was no improvement in lap times, there was a decrease in effort and concentration required to maintain equal lap times, which opens the door for improvement.
mtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #5

I will get them. what the heck
thanks guys.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #6

If you remove the covers from around the battery in the front you will find that you already have strut braces that run from the shock towers to the firewall. This should be sufficient. The 911 GT3 Cup Car actually has the same front strut brace system as your Boxster! If it's good enough for Porsche's own race car shouldn't it be good enough for you?

But still a little extra bracing can't hurt, it can only help. So if you want to do it and it will make you feel better - go for it. But don't expect a huge improvement over what Porsche has already designed into the front.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #7

The car already as more chassis stiffness than 98% of the drivers have ability. However, if it gives you more confidence and you don't mind spending the money, go for it. Otherwise, a stock chassis has all the reinforced stiffness you'll ever need.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
The car already as more chassis stiffness than 98% of the drivers have ability. However, if it gives you more confidence and you don't mind spending the money, go for it. Otherwise, a stock chassis has all the reinforced stiffness you'll ever need.
Thank you ALL for your helpful info. I am very glad to hear that the stock chassis is good. My last convertible is a BMW Z3. Man, Z3 have REALLY bad chassis issue. I kept hearing Z3 owners complain about subframe failure and all. Luckily mine didn't have that problem but all those pictures and stories are still in my head.
Whenever my 986 goes over a dump or driveway, the center console makes a little squeaking noise, that got me worry about the chassis isn't reinforced enough... I guess I worry too much. Thanks agian guys!

Kit
Old 12-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have a related question.
With my hardtop on, the body flex over bumps is more noticeable, because it causes some creaking. Would a rear strut brace reduce the flex, therefore eliminating the creaking?
It's not a big deal, just something I've been thinking about.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:49 AM   #10

I found that the hardtop creeked the same with or without the braces.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:06 AM   #11
HB.

I installed both bars two weeks apart from another. I noticed a difference with them installed, there isn't a WOW! difference, but as noted before you will definitely have more confidence taking some high speed corners. As for the install, it's pretty straight forward, the front bar came with instructions, rear did not As long as you have a '98 or newer, the rear should be easy to install.
HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #12

I just installed the rear strut bar tonight. It was easy but I took some time to make sure everything is very tight. Looking forward to feel the improvement tomorrow. I will probably install the front after Christmas.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:41 AM   #13

Is there any reason not to have only one strut bar? Front & not rear or rear & not front? Thanks
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472
Is there any reason not to have only one strut bar? Front & not rear or rear & not front? Thanks
sway bar maybe but not strut bar

for example, my MINI does not have a front sway bar upgrade because it will not make any difference. My WRX does not have a rear sway bar upgrade because it will not make any difference.
front or rear strut bar always makes a difference.
I can feel the rear is stiffer when i was making a few aggressive turns. Very nice. I like it.