Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #1

storage: top up or down?

Wondering if a boxster is going to be stored or not driven much over the winter, is it best to leave top up or down? I have hard top but end up never putting it on since I am afraid of leaving top down for lengthy period and window becoming crinkled,etc. Car will be inside either way.
Thanks

koboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #2

for me, i'd just leave it up. even if garaged, it just makes more sense to me. don't want spiders crawling and making home inside your boxster right?
mchi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:17 AM   #3
bmussatti

Top down, with desiccators inside, and a car cover. Battery maintainer. Tires over inflated to 58-60 PSI...just to name a few ideas!

Last edited by bmussatti; 12-13-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #4

I originated this post and just want to clarify, if I put top down, I will put on hard top. Therefore not a closure issue, just not sure I want to leave soft top down and folded for extended period.
Why overinflate tires, to prevent a flat spot?
koboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
FTD

leaving the soft top down for extended periods will cause discoloration in the creases. Don't know why, especially garaged, no UV, no dirt, etc., but it does. If your rear window is plastic, that would make me nervous too because of cold temp behavior on petroleum based products.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:32 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i would say up...you donw want the creases to show up too much.
BUT, my top is down like 90% of the time, in the summer well its nice out so its down, and in winter its down because the hardtop is on.
but even after all that top down, top looks fine w no major creases or anything
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboxster
Why overinflate tires, to prevent a flat spot?

You are correct! This is all in your Owner's Manual too.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would leave it up, and leave the hardtop off. But if you plan on driving it with the hardtop put it down, because you don't want to be lowering the top in temp.'s below around 50°, to put on the hardtop. Also, park it on some ply wood, and inflate the tires to avoid flat spots, and a car cover would be a good idea.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #9

The problem with leaving a top down for any extended period of time is that the side cables stretch, as well as all the elastic bits that pull it back and crease it where it should crease as it goes down. Mine is all stretched out and doesn't go up right now (the top does not stay inside the window trim groove).

I put my top up each and every time I put it in the garage if I know I won't be driving it for more than a week.

It just makes common sense to me. Leaving the top fabric bits "unsprung" will make them last a lot longer.

Pity the previous owners didn't think like I do.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #10

my brother has been driving his boxster for like almost 4 yrs now and his top is always down and i mean as in 99% of the time. ive only seen his car with the soft top up once. (In the summer his top is always down and in the winters when it gets too cold he puts a hardtop on) and he said there are no creases or discoloration in the top ( he has a glass window so im not sure if its a plastic one does that make a differance).

I have a hardtop on my boxster as well and really the soft top is usually down except for when i park it in the garage in the summer and i havent seen any damage or anything on my top either.

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote