986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help! I just got my 08 Boxster last week, and need go to overseas for 2 month. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14624)

gamejt 12-14-2007 12:04 AM

Help! I just got my 08 Boxster last week, and need go to overseas for 2 month.

What should I do before leving? I don't have a garage, no car cover. I will park it infront my house.

Jump 12-14-2007 02:23 AM

There are plenty of rental garages around. If you can afford an '08, you shouldn't have any trouble with a couple of months of renting a garage.

tboyer 12-14-2007 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamejt
What should I do before leving? I don't have a garage, no car cover. I will park it infront my house.

I'll be more than happy to take care of your '08 :) Don't mind if a I put a thousand or so miles on it do you? :D Your best bet is to let a trusted family member/friend start and run the car several times over the two months. If you allow this, then just covering the car would suffice. It's an '08, so, if somethin' breaks take it in!

Frodo 12-14-2007 04:00 AM

Not so sure about covering it. I haven't done a lot of research on the matter (so it's entirely possible I may not know what I'm talking about!) but, personally, I'd rather have rain and snow on my car than to cover it. (It's not like it's being driven around with salt slush from the road getting slung all over it.)

Ideally, first make sure the paint's been recently sealed, plus or minus a good coat of wax. If you don't have a hard top for it, I think they make covers that just go over the convertible top, which I'm thinkin' would be a good option.

Obviously, the rental garage is the best way to go.

rick3000 12-14-2007 04:16 AM

If your going to go the rental garage option, which is probably the best way to go. Park it on some ply wood, over inflate the tires. Put a car cover on it, then google or search the forum for storage tips. There are plenty of articles on it. I wouldn't want to leave a brand new Boxster outside.

bmussatti 12-14-2007 05:10 AM

Gamejt, I am going to make the assumption that your employer is requesting you to be out of the country for 2 months. If this is true, you need to skillfully negotiate with them the added cost for your absence away from home during that time period, including the proper care & storage for your new car.

For a 2 month storage period, everything you need to know, is in your owner’s manual, up near the front 1/3. Do big deal.

I also vote for the rental garage for the 2 months. Should be about $125-$175 per month. Make sure you can plug in a battery maintainer. There is no way I would park it outside for 2 months nor would I let a friend or family member be responsible for the car. It is just too much responsibility and/or temptation.

If you store it in a safe location, like a garage, you can drop part of your insurance for the 2 months, except comprehensive coverage. This should help "pay" for the storage costs.

If you can't/won't put the new car in a garage, go back to your Porsche dealership and ask the salesman if you can park the car in the back of thier secure lot for the 2 months.

Good luck!

bmussatti 12-14-2007 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000
If your going to go the rental garage option, which is probably the best way to go. Park it on some ply wood, over inflate the tires. Put a car cover on it, then google or search the forum for storage tips. There are plenty of articles on it. I wouldn't want to leave a brand new Boxster outside.

Rick what is the ply wood for? :confused:

rick3000 12-14-2007 02:33 PM

To insulate the tires from the ground, to help avoid, flat spots.

djomlas 12-14-2007 02:55 PM

lock the doors :)
its a car man

AUDIOGUY 12-14-2007 03:11 PM

I am in NJ you can park it in my garage!! ;) ;)

I like the idea of a secured storage facility.

[z0ne] 12-15-2007 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
I am in NJ you can park it in my garage!! ;) ;)

I like the idea of a secured storage facility.

Stole my idea. I'd run it to make sure everything was in order... The essentials... tires, brakes, gas pedal, shift level, steering wheel, power top, speedometer...

:evil: