Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #1

GPS Navigation for Boxsters

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for in-dash navigation systems for a 2004 Boxster?

richv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #2

How much you want to spend?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by richv
Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for in-dash navigation systems for a 2004 Boxster?
I have a Pioneer Avic N2 with a 6disc Pioneer CD Changer for sale. Asking $500 for both. Comes with all the wires and Navi DVD's. In the original boxx
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:07 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would reconsider an in-dash unit. The're a completely custom installation, and are more dangerous than dash mounted GPS, because you look away from the road to look at it. Just something to think about.

EDIT:
If your doing a complete radio/gps/ipod system, then it makes sense. But of your were just going to mount a standalone GPS, then I would go dash-mounted.

Last edited by rick3000; 12-11-2007 at 06:31 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:25 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
I was considering getting this double din Pioneer (Model: AVIC-D3) unit to replace my Becker and cup holders. Touchscreen GPS, DVD player, CD, MP3, IPOD integration. It's pretty sweet. 6.1" screen, optional rear view camera. It's selling for $999 at Bestbuy but I've seen it for as low as $579.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8242458&type=product&id=1169512508513
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:39 AM   #6

Tim,

Where have you seen it for $579? Auction sites?

Thanks
vheidenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #7

I run the Pioneer AVIC-N3, which is a DVD based navigation system. It features a retracting screen, which I personally like for security purposes when I park in public places. When the car is off, it simply looks like a regular aftermarket CD player. Functions with a touch screen, directions are exemplary, and there are 11,000,000+ P.O.I. (points of interest i.e. restaurants, schools, gas stations, etc). It seems much more user-friendly than the Porsche stock system.

Also, it allows me to use the same screen to switch between my iPod, XM Radio, Regular Radio, CD, MP3 CD or watch DVDs on long trips with one touch of the "source" button. All the while maintaining a clean look without extra wires or an ugly satellite radio unit.

Best of luck with your decision ...

Last edited by 9eighty6; 12-11-2007 at 10:03 AM.
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I wonder if the regulars on this board are tired of seeing these pics... lol

I own a AVIC-D3, did the install myself with the BT adapter, iPod cable, and reverse camera. It takes a bit of wiring but it was a very straight-forward install. In fact, it was the very first time I'd ever done a stereo install.

I made a custom faceplate, not the one in the pics. The one in the pics was my first attempt and didn't look so good. I made another one out of pulled black vinyl which looks factory. I really need to get pics of that in here.

I love my Avic.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vheidenr
Tim,

Where have you seen it for $579? Auction sites?

Thanks
Cartronix Plus has it for $585.99. Could be an older model?

http://www.cartronixplus.com/templates/detailnf_price.cfm?zq=76773789&uas=N&globaldesc=na&rnumb=976&wherefrom=SEARCH&whichord=301452&department=ALL&class=N&special=R&tablegraphic=%2Fimages%2F&sold=Y&nextrow=%20Pioneer%20AVIC%2DD3%20in%2DDash%20navig ationNSavicd3&prevrow=%20Pioneer%20AVIC%2DD3%20in%2DDash%20navig ationNSavicd3&nextprev=0&subclass=ALL&subname=na&pagename=Online%20Store%20%3E%20%20%20%3E%20ALL%20 %3E%20&CFID=283206&CFTOKEN=64948063
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
Old 12-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #10

I want the indash Navi too but after using one of those portables from Garmin I really wonder if having the GPS in the dash has any benefit.
The windshield mount made driving much easier than having to look down and away from the road, particularly when you are driving in areas you're not familiar with.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I want the indash Navi too but after using one of those portables from Garmin I really wonder if having the GPS in the dash has any benefit.
The windshield mount made driving much easier than having to look down and away from the road, particularly when you are driving in areas you're not familiar with.

I think the advantage of an in-dash unit like the Pioneer AVIC-D3 is that not only would you have a GPS unit but a system that would provide integrated iPOD touch screen controls, DVD Player, Rear view camera system, VHF tuner, CD/MP3 playback, etc. It's a lot packed into one unit. Some features like the camera system and ipod link are add ons but the option to do it is pretty sweet.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #12

Perfectlap has a good point. It is tricky looking at the screen when driving in an unfamiliar area. The good thing is that you can always just pull over and check things out if you need to. I think the bundle of add-ons and features out-weighs the drawback of not being on the dash.

My wife has a portable GPS on her dash and it definately is easier to look at while driving, and its nice to have when in a rental car in an unfamiliar area.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #13

Out of curiosity, how is the screen on these Pioneer models in sunlight - ie with the top down on a bright summer day? Is there an in-dash unit designed for convertibles?
Sain0rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:06 AM   #14

The only time I have trouble seeing the screen is in bright sunlight, top down, with my polarized Oakleys on. I tilt my head and I can see the screen fine in the sun.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #15

I don't have any trouble seeing mine at all ... regardless of wearing sunglasses or not. Sometimes it is a little bright out, but even in a convertible I am extremely happy with it.

I also don't think it is any different to look at the dash 6in lower than if I had one (ex. garmin) attatched to the windshield. Both units are just as helpful, I have been saved by a garmin in other vehicles many-a-times.

Good luck!
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap

If you really want to go the cheap route, I have a GPS in my Verizon phone. Always gets me where I need to be. However, I'd much rather have one in-dash.

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote