Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
FTD

Warranty work on 2004 2.7

I bought my 2004 2.7 almost a year and a half ago, and I have taken it to the dealer for work [under warranty, thankfully] several times. I just picked it up from the dealer and thought I would share the issues it has had, since I haven't seen these posted. Well, some in bits and pieces but no clear reports.

1) The liner on the soft top separated from the cover. Very weird. All you do is push a button to put it up or down, so I have no clue how that became stressed and separated at the front. Anyone else experience this? They reinserted the liner, but it makes a lot of creaky racket. Very sad about the noise.

2) Left rear wheel bearings were replaced. I think I saw that out here as someone else's experience, too.

3) Condensation in the trunk compartment in the area where you check the oil and put in wiper fluid. [Not a mechanic... can you tell?] It turned out to be a faulty gasket at the coolant bleeder valve.

4) A rattling in the left driver side of the engine. Someone on this forum described loose coins but mine sounds more like bolts bouncing around. Quite scary. This remains undiagnosed as it is not reproducable on demand. Actually, I haven't heard it in a while. Maybe I 'drove it out'.

This is a young car and Porsche has a quality reputation, so I am miffed that I have had significant problems.

FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:51 AM   #2
FTD

Mind if I resurrect this? My manufacture date is 12/31/2003 and the purchase/drive out date is sometime April 2004. I read somewhere on the 'net that the Manufacturer's Warranty expires on drive out date, but one way or another it is fast approaching.

Would you kind folks mind posting other things I might investigate as proactive before the warrantly expires? I am now informed re: Rear Main Seal - I have no apparent oil leak - and MAF sensor - not sure there is anything proactive to do on that.

What issues, repairs have you come across in the first four to five years of your car's life? What model year do you have?

The thing is, my Honda has never needed anything outside of maintenance and things that wear out around 100k miles. My Boxster, however, mentally bothers me that I have had four significant repairs and an undiagnosed 'issue'. Plus I need to go back and see what they can do about the hideous creaking in the top.

Your comments are appreciated.

FTD is offline   Reply With Quote