Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #1

Options and Opinions

Thanks to the link Bmussatti provided in my other thread, I've spent last night and this morning going through the nation's entire inventory of new and used Boxsters. Have run across some enticing possibilities. However, I am unsure of some of the options listed (my 01S is relatively naked), so I was hoping for some insight. Also have a few questions. Here goes:

482-TPMS ?

475-PASM I see PSM and traction control are std on 06 & 07 but what is the difference between PSM and PASM?

PPA & PPB These are listed as Preferred Pkgs, but what do you get with them?

639-Sport Chrono w/o PCM What is PCM? And what do you normally get with the SC option beside a big clock in the middle of your dash?

Other than 15 addl HP, is there anything different with the 3.4 engine vs the 3.2? Are the same design flaws built into the 3.4 (RMS, etc)?

My original plan was to buy an 05S next July when my house is paid off. Then the 06S in NOLA showed up and I figured I could swing it. Now 07s are starting to creep in. Maybe someone better get me to an intervention.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
bmussatti

I am using the 2007 order guide to answer your questions, for a Boxster S:

PPA- Preferred Package- Colored wheel caps, self dim mirrors and rain sensor, Bose, heated seats, floor mats- $2,190

PPB- Preferred Package Plus- all of the above, plus Bi-Xenon, power seats, cd changer- $4,995

TPMS- tire pressure monitoring system- standard equipment

PASM- Porsche Active Suspension Management- 10mm lower, active management of the suspension firmness- $1,990

PSM- Porsche Stability Management- standard (like traction control) AKA- please save me!

PCM- Porsche Communication Management- mainly navigation $3,070 and $3,275 for PCM extended

Sport Chrono- (option code #640) remaps throttle response (25% faster throttle response) and adjusts PSM to allow more driver imput- meaning you can get more sideways! $920

the 3.4 has slightly better torque and improved MPG's (about 1).

Husker, you need to get a Boxster brochure and a dealership should be willing to e-mail an Order Guide to you too.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #3

I agree with Bmussati.

Study up and learn the abbreviations/acronyms so you don't get a car with something missing on it that you really want like PASM if it were my car OR you could spend a lot more than intended if the opposite were true. I would never buy a car with PCM (navigation) because: it is extremely expensive, I wouldn't use it, rated poorly by reviewers, I know where I'm going in most cases, I have a Garmin in my company car I can switch over.

Researching, looking for the right car is the fun part.

1989 911 Cabriolet
Grand Prix White/Black

Stock except:
Turbo 7x9 Fuchs

SOLD!
2002 986S
Seal Gray/Black
Painted Center Console
18" Turbo Twists with rear spacers
Tequipment aluminum shift knob
Colored center caps
De-ambered tail lights/side markers

Stock except:
B&B catback exhaust

http://i29.tinypic.com/i6crck.jpg
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #4

On the base boxster (non-S), PPA does not include Bose, but PPB does.

Here's the brochure:
http://www.porsche.com/all/legends/downloads/BoxsterModelBrochure.pdf

Last edited by baseball; 12-08-2007 at 05:55 PM.
baseball is offline   Reply With Quote