986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fuel (Gasoline) Question? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14488)

ozspearo 12-03-2007 08:54 PM

Fuel (Gasoline) Question?

I may have access to some 100 octane low lead gasoline (AVGAS) and was thinking of using some in my Boxster S.

Can any tech heads or fuel experts tell me;

Can I use this fuel?

What percentage can I use (i.e. adding X gal of 100 octane to Y gal of 95 or 91 octane each tank?

Thanks

-Scott

Topless 12-03-2007 09:25 PM

100 octane "Streetblaze" Unleaded is A-OK. Unleaded 100 aviation fuel is A-OK. Low Lead aviation fuel will kill your cats quick and long term use could damage your motor. Not recommended.

rick3000 12-04-2007 04:06 AM

There won't be a difference between it and regular premium gas. Save yourself some $$ and just use premium.

blue2000s 12-04-2007 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000
There won't be a difference between it and regular premium gas. Save yourself some $$ and just use premium.

+1

Spark, compression and valve timing are set to optimize the combustion kernel initiation of 93 octane fuel. Higher octanes won't gain anything.

John V 12-04-2007 08:30 AM

Rob Falkner did some testing last year on his Boxster S and found a slight gain running high-octane street-legal (unleaded) fuel in his dyno testing.

It was such a small difference you'll never notice it, though.

pk2 12-04-2007 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozspearo
I may have access to some 100 octane low lead gasoline (AVGAS) and was thinking of using some in my Boxster S.

Can any tech heads or fuel experts tell me;

Can I use this fuel?

What percentage can I use (i.e. adding X gal of 100 octane to Y gal of 95 or 91 octane each tank?

Thanks

-Scott

Unless you have big engine mods or can only get 91 like here in So Cal forget it. Above the manufactures recommendations is worthless in any car, definitely not worth $7+ a gallon.

PK

ozspearo 12-05-2007 06:59 PM

Thanks all. I wasn't actually going to pay for the fuel, someone was going to give it to me as it will be left over from a project ;) , but given the comments here I don't think I'll bother. I have access to 95 Octane at a place just out of town at $4.89 a gallon so I normally use that. Think I'll stick with the 95 with the occasional tank of 91.

Cheers,

blue2000s 12-06-2007 05:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks all. I wasn't actually going to pay for the fuel, someone was going to give it to me as it will be left over from a project ;) , but given the comments here I don't think I'll bother. I have access to 95 Octane at a place just out of town at $4.89 a gallon so I normally use that. Think I'll stick with the 95 with the occasional tank of 91.

Cheers,

Well, if it's free, go for it.

ozspearo 12-06-2007 06:24 PM

It's free but......

But a new engine isn't! :rolleyes:

Just to reiterate, it's 100 octane low lead fuel, not unleaded. I don't know anything about fuel, so I don't know the difference, but given the other problems I have with the car at the moment (and their cost), and the lack of benefits of using this fuel, I think I'll avoid it.

Thanks again for everyone's replies. Feel free to add more if anyone has extra info.

Cheers,

-Scott

FrayAdjacent 12-07-2007 05:43 AM

lead, any amount = BAAAAAD.

Do NOT use 'low lead' fuel in your Boxster.

blue2000s 12-07-2007 08:52 AM

Quote:

But a new engine isn't! :rolleyes:

Just to reiterate, it's 100 octane low lead fuel, not unleaded. I don't know anything about fuel, so I don't know the difference, but given the other problems I have with the car at the moment (and their cost), and the lack of benefits of using this fuel, I think I'll avoid it.

Thanks again for everyone's replies. Feel free to add more if anyone has extra info.

Cheers,

-Scott

Sorry, I missed the low lead statement. Definitely a no no.

FYI though, it won't hurt your engine at all, it will just mess up your emissions equipment.

Bob Z. 12-07-2007 08:56 AM

Lead will ruin your cats and will most likely void your emmissions warranty (if you care).

ozspearo 12-07-2007 06:14 PM

It's decided.

Thanks all. I'll be staying away from the 'free' fuel. I appreciate everyone's input.