986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Must have options (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14476)

RS60 12-03-2007 10:44 AM

Must have options

Which options do you think I have to take for a new Boxster?
So far I have PASM, PCM, Sports Chrono, 19" wheels, sports seats, GT3 sport exhaust, rain sensor with dimming mirrors, short shift, windstop.

mtch 12-03-2007 11:04 AM

Why rain sensors and dimming mirrors? Any benefit, other than not having to rotate the knob and flip up the dim angle on the mirror?

bigb 12-03-2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtch
Why rain sensors and dimming mirrors? Any benefit, other than not having to rotate the knob and flip up the dim angle on the mirror?

I don't have the dimming option, but I'd guess it also auto-dims the side mirrors, which the flip up/down on the interior rear view mirror doesn't control.

RS60 12-03-2007 12:34 PM

I'm kinda used to it with my other cars. The outside mirrors would be a bit difficult to flip ;)

sp330 12-03-2007 12:54 PM

Xenon lights for sure.

I'm on the fence for the sport exhaust, does it really sound $2k better?

vincesf 12-03-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS60
Which options do you think I have to take for a new Boxster?
So far I have PASM, PCM, Sports Chrono, 19" wheels, sports seats, GT3 sport exhaust, rain sensor with dimming mirrors, short shift, windstop.

You might wish to opt for the Sport Steering Wheel which matches well with the shape of the sport seats. One subtle item is that if you order the Sport Steering Wheel you may want to further opt it in a smooth leather as the Sport Seats come in a smooth leather as well. The optional Sport Steering Wheel with the standard "coarse" leather goes well with the standard "coarse" leather seats. Also, if your interior is black, you may wish to go with the Alcantra Sport Steering wheel.

My question to you is whether the GT3 sport exhaust is available on a Boxster or Boxster S? I thought it was only available on the new Boxster S RS 60 that will be available in March of 2008, which seems to add 8 hp. The only optional Boxster/ Boxster S Exhaust System the I am aware of is the Porsche Sports Exhaust system, which is $2,100, and does sound very nice, but does not appear to boost power by 8 hp as does the touted GT 3 system on the upcoming RS 60 Boxster S.
vincesf

racer_d 12-03-2007 01:35 PM

Not sure of your climate on "earth" but I wished I had heated seats for cool weather top down driving.

RS60 12-03-2007 09:30 PM

Thank you all for your replies.
I've ordered the RS60. The interior is pretty much how it is, with the natural leather, I got the doorhandle surrounding in leather extra.

I'll add the Xenon and heated seats.

Is the Bose sound system worth the extra $$ over the Sound Package?

sp330 12-04-2007 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS60

Is the Bose sound system worth the extra $$ over the Sound Package?

When you get it I demand lots and lots of pictures ! :)

Just last weekend I visited my local Porsche dealer to listen to a NON-Bose audio system (the Bose system is absolutely brilliant btw), it wouldn't play a simple mp3 cd I had (which the Bose system and the harmon kardon system in my 2006 Z4 did with ease).

So I'm going with Bose. The salesman told me they almost always spec cars with Bose.

RS60 12-04-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp330
When you get it I demand lots and lots of pictures ! :)

Sure thing.

Bob Z. 12-04-2007 11:15 AM

For what it's worth, I ordered my 2008 987 S last month (Jan. build) in Guards Red/Black interior & top with the following options: 18" Cayman S wheels, Windstop, Sport Steering Wheel, Red instrument dials, Sport Exhaust, exhaust tips, floor mats, rear emblem delete (getting Black emblem from the Orange special edition), and storage box on engine.

Some say there are too many options offered but I'd rather have too many choices than too little. Good luck and remember, the choices you make are the ones you will have to live with!