Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 02:21 PM   #1

how to raise and secure the car

How do you jack and secure the Boxster when you need to work underneath? Can I back the car onto a ramp? Most ramps are too high for Boxster though.

bcjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:26 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
You can use the factory jack located in the front trunk inside the spare tire cover or you can also use floor ramps, many forum members use them, make sure you have something to keep them from shoot out as your backing on to them like a banana out of the pealing of cartoon monkeys hands.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #3

you can use the jack in the front trunk to get it up but.....

ABSOLUTELY UNDER NO UNCERTAIN TERMS SHOULD YOU CRAWL UNDERNEATH TO WORK OR EVEN LOOK AT THE CAR UNLESS IT SECURED ON JACK STANDS and/or ramps.

Working under a vehicle supported only by a jack is senseless as you never know when it could give way - regardless of jack rating. As a guide, always always always use either ramps, jack stands, or a secured lift when working under any vehicle that weighs more than you
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:26 PM   #4

I have a floor jack and 4 stands. For other cars, I normally jack the car from the factory jacking point then find another spot to let the car sit on the stand. Do I do the same thing on the boxster?

Is there a particular ramps I should buy for Boxster?
bcjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #5

We have local owners who back up the rear on Rhino Ramps. They are made of plastic. They do not hit the rear bumper cover if the car is not lowered.

Would you be backing up on a slope or flat?

What work is it that you want to do?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #6

Napa sells a shorter/low clearance plastic ramp that you can drive up on to very easy.
I do have a question to add here. I just had a 2 post lift put in to work on my other cars but wanted to know if anyone has seen or used a 2 post to lift there box. I know there are the four jacking points but slightly concern with any flex or safety problems. I havent had a chance to stop at the dealership to ask. If there honest.
1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Here a few links on this:

DIY Ramps
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7982

DIY Jack Stands, it also mentions where to place the jack stands, etc.
http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13774
Old 11-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #8

I use the Rhino ramps as well for oil changes. For everything else I use jack stands. I was standing 3 feet from a car once when the factory jack slipped (chevy). My neighbor almost literaly lost his head. The bumper missed his head by less than 1/2". My father had a freind who was killed when a jack slipped on a car he just crawled under "for a quick look". Listen to burgboxsterand NEVER crawl under a car without it being securely blocked. Make sure to always use chocks or bricks to block the wheels, 2 on each tire. Don't trust your life to the e-brake.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #9

Ramps suck. Not enough clearance under them to do much of anything.

The rear is easy enough to jack up since there is a center jacking point. The front is more of a challenge. I notched the undertray in my car so I can use the factory jack point for the floor jack, and put a jackstand under the front subframe, slightly inboard of the jack.

You have to jack the car one corner at a time using this method, but it works fine.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:59 AM   #10
FTD

I like to use ramps, with jack stands and chocks. I have been using ramps for years, and the Boxster had me stumped for a while while I tried to figure out my approach. Then one day, ding! [that's a bell], I realized just outside of the garage my driveway has a slope that would make backing up onto ramps bring my car essentially level, and the rear was up well high enough to do the oil change. Very cool. Wish I had taken a photo to share.

I am, however, going to get a hydraulic jack so I can get two wheels up now that I have a set of track wheels - and also plan to do my own brake work.

FTD is offline   Reply With Quote