986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Preventing IMS failure (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14400)

HammerESQ 11-28-2007 11:51 AM

Preventing IMS failure

As a new owner every time I hear a story about the IMS failing in one of our cars, I cringe and worry a little bit more.

So my question is, what (if anything) can we do to prevent an IMS failure in our cars?

Thanks,
Eric

David N. 11-28-2007 11:59 AM

Best way to avoid the pain of IMS, try to drive the car 35k miles while still covered under warranty. Or get your own warranty if it's no longer covered (and the engine hasn't already had IMS failure). What year/model/mileage?

-David

Brucelee 11-28-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HammerESQ
As a new owner every time I hear a story about the IMS failing in one of our cars, I cringe and worry a little bit more.

So my question is, what (if anything) can we do to prevent an IMS failure in our cars?

Thanks,
Eric

It is a design failure. I am aware of nothing we can do to prevent it.

CJ_Boxster 11-28-2007 12:03 PM

I would say that using good oil and changing it within 10k mile intervals and getting those RPMs in the 5-6k range once in awhile helps.

I'd say that storing it for months or weeks,
Not letting the oil circulate atleast 30 seconds before driving off will bring you closer to an IMS failure.

I think that keeping those mechanical parts oiled and moving will reduce your chances of IMS failure. All in the name of reducing stress on the internal mechanical moving parts of your engine.

Frodo 11-28-2007 01:51 PM

"...getting those RPMs in the 5-6k range once in awhile helps."

Posted by CJ Boxster.

Not that I don't do that anyway, but I was curious. Why do you suppose that hitting 5-6K from time to time is a useful preventative against IMS failure?

Also, a question for anyone with an opinion on the matter: Is there a mileage beyond which you think IMS problems are unlikely? (I have a 2001 S with about 33,000 miles.)

Also (while I'm at it): Are IMS problems any more prevalent in a given engine (ie 2.5 vs 2.7 vs 3.2)?

pbanders 11-28-2007 01:55 PM

My solution was to buy an extended warranty today from Warranty Direct, and to plan on selling the car before it runs out. Oh, and then buying another Boxster and do the whole thing over again! :)

tboyer 11-28-2007 02:38 PM

Just enjoy your car! Why worry about something you can't prevent. Can't hurt to put a 3.2 on your Xmas list though, just in case :)

rick3000 11-28-2007 02:38 PM

The two big problems with Boxster's are RMS, and IMS. Once you pass about 25k miles your chances of either go down drastically but it still can occur.

YellowJacket 11-28-2007 02:54 PM

From the anecdotal evidence I've seen on IMS failure, it seems to be luck-of-the-draw more than anything else. I don't think there's much one can do to prevent it.

That being said, why are you so worried about it? Sure, it can fail, but every car seems to have a component that is prone to catastrophic failure. You want something really scary? The e36 BMWs (3 series from 92-98) had incredibly weak mounts where the rear subframe bolts to the unibody. They often ripped loose, dislodging the entire rear subframe. It was about as expensive as IMS failure, if I recall, but a lot more messy. And yet I drove one for years.

Enjoy your car. If it happens, it happens. Hopefully it won't. :)