Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 01:03 PM   #1

Unit Under Driver Seat?

I think the unit under the driver seat has gotten wet and it is starting to short out. The locking button in the car comes on by itself and will not go off. Checked my drains and they where clogged. Just got this car last month and it is awesome! The wet floor thing is nothing new. I have had convertables and they get wet sometimes. Has anyone seen one of these computers on ebay? I'm not sure what the unit is called either? Does anyone know if the dealer has to do this repair or can I just remove the seat and plug it up? (After I add the tupperware to keep it off the floor)

CP711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP711
I think the unit under the driver seat has gotten wet and it is starting to short out. The locking button in the car comes on by itself and will not go off. Checked my drains and they where clogged. Just got this car last month and it is awesome! The wet floor thing is nothing new. I have had convertables and they get wet sometimes. Has anyone seen one of these computers on ebay? I'm not sure what the unit is called either? Does anyone know if the dealer has to do this repair or can I just remove the seat and plug it up? (After I add the tupperware to keep it off the floor)

The ECU you are talking about is related to the security system, I have read about problems after the unit has been wet. I'm confident any replacement would include specific coding for the vehicle and be very expensive. Have you tried removing the unit and drying it out? Even that may scramble the device so check with some other BB members first, maybe you could place a ceramic heater on it and keep it installed. good luck.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #3

I did some more searching and called acouple dealers. The dealer here in Nashville, Tn tried to charge me $470 for the unit. I had heard that Sunset Import (Porsche Dealer in FL) had them for $250. I called and it is true. I asked the guy why is the dealer in Nashville want $220 more and he said that Sunset Import only charges 15% on top of cost for parts and the dealers are able to set the price in the end. I guess I will break down and order it from them. It is going to be $175 in Nashville to have it installed compared to Sunsets $225 for instal. The guy on the phone couldnt tell me what unit was under the seat was untill I gave him my vin#. He said that different units will be under the seat depending on the options of the car. He said it is the central locking / imobilizer unit. All this b/c the owner that had it or the dealer didnt clean the drains.
CP711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #4

This has been covered before, several times.

Let us know how your new contol unit works.....

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote