Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #1

Warranty help...

All,
I'm new to this forum, I actually stumbled on it by accident. Loads of great info and discussion so far. I just picked up a 99 boxster (non-s) from a local owner. It has all of 11K on it. I'm finding it difficult to locate a reputable company on a warranty for this car... First Porsche of my own (my family loves these cars), so I thought I would see what all the hype was about. So far, it’s been a blast... Any input would be helpful..

Local Porsche dealer: no help... They say the car is too old for them to provide any recommendations.

I found a couple of places online.. I'm not ready to through $$ at strangers...
Thanks,
Scott

boxsterss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #2

Many people seem to have positive experiences with Warranty Direct.

There is no substitute.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
I just sent you a pm regarding the company that I used. I think the only issue you might have is regarding the age of your car. Warranty Direct is a good outfit and I used Carchex which carries just about every warranty out there.

Whatever you do make certain that your warranty covers wear and tear as well as seals and gaskets. Otherwise, you will have to wait for complete part failure and risk further damage to your car.
ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:20 AM   #4

Do you really want to

pay for:
selling expenses
administrative expenses
profit
knowing that the extended warranty companies pay out, on average, around 20% of the cost of the warranty in claims.

Maybe you do. Maybe knowing your potential liability is capped is more important to you than the pure financial aspects. It is your choice. Your risk tolerance.

I've owned a '99 and an '01 and my non-scheduled maintenance expenses have averaged around $20 per month. Since a warranty at the time I bought my car was $3k, I'm way ahead considering that, if I was under warranty, not all the items would have been covered and there would have been deductibles.

I insure for only those risks I can't afford to pay for myself (personal liability, house, auto), assuming all other risks. So I decline all extended warranties on all items. Over the years, I'm enormously ahead...and would be even if my engine blew up tomorrow...in every car I own.

Warranty Direct has a good reputation. Read the contract carefully as there are lots of "not-covered" items and you need to compare those to the things that go wrong typically in a 8 year old Boxster.

Do you know when your '99 was built and thus if it was one of those cars subject to some potentially fatal flaws s in engine construction? If it was, that may make the argument for the warranty stronger.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #5

Thanks

Looks like the Manufacture date 04/99 which puts me towards the end of the failure range, but still in it. Warrentydirect doesn't appear to offer warranties for this late of model... so that was a good try.. I'm working with carchex now... let you know how it goes.Warrentydirect doesn't appear to offer warranties for this late of model... so that was a good try.. I'm working with carchex now... let you know how it goes.

Scott

boxsterss is offline   Reply With Quote