Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2007, 10:50 AM   #1

Pic Request: Boxster with 997T wheels

I'm shopping for wheels for my box, found this auction on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-wheels-rims-tires-18-944-928-911-993-Boxster_W0QQitemZ320143732945QQihZ011QQcategoryZ43 958QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Anyone have a pic of these wheels on a box, preferably a seal gray 986?

JoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #2

Josh, I don't have a pic of a boxster with them on it, but I will tell you that I bought my carrera lights from this seller and they are superb. This seller has great product and they are very customer-service oriented. Can't say enough good things about both the seller and the product.

I bought my rims from him and had him put PS2's on them before he shipped them to me. Price was about the same as Tire Rack, but he mounted and balanced them beautifully. All I had to do was put them on and drive. Nice.

PS - If I had it all to do over again, I'd buy these rims instead of my carrera lights. They were not available at the first of the year when I bought mine. I love the look of them.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #3

Randall's definitely right about this vendor. I got my wheels from him also. He's got a nice selection and his customer service is top notch. He just started carrying the 997tt wheels. Shoot him an email and see if he has any pictures of those rims on a Boxster. He has a lot of photos of customer cars. If the car isn't Seal Gray, I bet DJ could fix that, post haste!
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #4

thanks for the pics and replies. I actually did email him and ask.

The one pic of that boxster does look pretty good, the lines on the side vent and front bumper in combination with the lines on the wheels make it look a little busy, but it wouldn't prob look that way on a 968.

I'll have to take a pic of my car from that angle and photoshop them on there.

Keep the pics coming, if anyone else has one...
Old 11-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #5

Wow, those are some impressive wheels. I've seen them before, but I never really paid attention. They really change the look of the car!

Will they really fit on a 986? They look like they are a full inch wider (both front and back) than stock.

The problem with posting a thread like this on this forum is that people like me look at the auction and now you have some eBay competition!

(I'm kidding -- but if I click on that link again I might just accidently press the buy it now button...)

Let us know what you do & post some pics.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #6

Those rims look decent, but I do have to wonder how they'll flow on a 986.

The biggest problem I have with those rims though is this:

2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #7

WOW!!! Jeph, you just ruined those rims for me
Old 11-21-2007, 05:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball
WOW!!! Jeph, you just ruined those rims for me
I know, right?
The sad thing is they work well on the (hideous) Eclipse -Those are Mitsubishi factory rims. Notice each arm of the star of the wheel has 3 distinct lines, just like the side of the car (and front bumper). "Clever, yet repulsive" says this designer.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #9

Wheel Dynamics is reputed to provide very good service but be aware that these wheels are not OEM, they are replicas.
choeglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i dont like those wheels at all, even on the car that they are made for.
plus, i wouldn't even wanna know how hard it is to clean those things
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
i dont like those wheels at all, even on the car that they are made for.
plus, i wouldn't even wanna know how hard it is to clean those things
Are you happy with your wheels? I saw them on a seal gray 986 on ebay a little while back and wasn't completely crazy about them. The price is pretty unbeatable though.

Yeah, I'm aware they are replicas. The real ones are only in 19's for the 997tt. My philosophy on wheels is that it's foolish to spend a lot of money on wheels that are going to be on a daily driven car, especially since I live in downtown atlanta with tons of potholes/curbs etc. I'd rather just get cheap wheels with good size/fitment/look and if I bend one of them, just buy a new one.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #12

i absolutely love my wheels, it was my 1st choice, then i showed a few sets to my GF and few buddies, all agreed, these would be IT...so i got them.
quality of them is great and they really transformed the look of the car, then once it got lowered, even better. i just hated the wheel gap, totally unacceptable on sports car.
those 911 wheels might look decent if they were black perhaps, bust still not my cup of tea.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #13

i dont think those wheels r bad at all, i mean they do kinda look like the eclipse ones which kinda wants me make me gag a little but its the car that makes me wanna gag not the wheels lol i think most wheels look good unless theyre black in which case they look like cheap hubcaps or if they just look like they're plasticy and cheap and those arent either so its all good.
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #14

those wheels suck A$$

Jeph is right to point out the stricking similarities to the eclipse wheels. The 997 Turbo disappointed me aesthetically when I first saw it. The front end is too confused(looks like a salamander) and cluttered with the fog light (like the Maxima) and led turn signal, which look like they are taiwanese ebay brand. the back looks weak with the camaro like rectangular tips, and worst of all the wheels. They do not look like Porsche wheels. no tradition, non classic, and it doesn't match the car. ]

the 996 and 986 are beautiful flowing cars. don't destroy that with ugly wheels like ones on the 997TT.
Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #15

ahh here they are, MUCH better, but im partial to black wheels and yellow calipers.
still ...

Old 11-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #16

I have to say I love those wheels. Not sure if they work that well on a Boxter, but on a 911 they are awesome. I also think that pics don't do them justice, you have to see them in person.

If I ever order a 911, I plan to get those wheels.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote