986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Un-garaged boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14257)

jmay03 11-19-2007 07:05 AM

Un-garaged boxster?

I'm seriously considering my first Porsche purchase. There's only one problem: I live in a townhome with no garage. How much of a travesty would it be to keep one of these cars outdoors. I live in southeastern VA, so temperatures aren't generally very low, and there's rarely any snow or ice. I have read about some pretty high tech covers that are waterproof, UV-proof, and the like. I have a second car that I would drive on days with bad weather. Am I fooling myself to believe that even the best cover money can buy would actually protect my investment?

I drove an '03 Boxster S this weekend and absolutely fell in love...

racer_d 11-19-2007 07:20 AM

It will be fine. It is a car, not a piece of paper. Do your best to treat the top, windows and paint and a regular basis.

HB. 11-19-2007 07:30 AM

I agree with racer_d. I live in central VA, and don't have a garage. My first Boxster was fine, and I'm having no problems keeping my second Boxster maintained. We haven't seen much of any bad weather here in central VA for years, except for the major flood that hit downtown years ago. I wouldn't stress it to be honest with you as long as you care for it on a regular basis.

Welcome to 986forum :)

jmay03 11-19-2007 07:47 AM

Thanks to both of you. I was (obviously) leaning toward going ahead with the purchase anyway, but I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't completely regret it. Other than a good quality cover and regular waxing and maintenance, is there anything you would suggest to protect it from the elements?

bmussatti 11-19-2007 07:50 AM

Get the Ragg Topp cleaner and protectant.

Perfectlap 11-19-2007 07:58 AM

unless it's a car that will be parked outside and driven only once in a blue moon, outdoor car covers are not a good idea, particualrly with darker colored cars. Car covers should only be used when the car is 100% clean. If its dirty, the inside of the cover will get soiled and will act like sandpaper each time you put it on the car.
If you properly wax and seal the paint it will easily withstand the elements.
I'd recommend getting a hardtop if the car is going to an outdoor parked and daily driven car. Soft top covers (only covers the canvas) are also good for outdoor parking, check ebay.

Bambino Don 11-19-2007 08:11 AM

I leave my car outside all the time and i have no problems, it rains every other day in Scotland and it just means you wash it more.

The biggest negative is not leaving it outside at nights, but when you spend 3-4 hours cleaning, waxing then it rains!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

James

rick3000 11-19-2007 08:49 AM

It shouldn't be a problem. Just take care of your top, or buy a hardtop, then there is nothing to worry about.
:cheers:

FTD 11-19-2007 09:11 AM

I bought a Boxster that previously was not garaged. The paint was not well taken care of and you probably know what it means to bring it back. Take good care of the paint. Plenty of wax and no bird droppings allowed.

Also, the front boot release lever is faded instead of a crisp red. If you can do something to protect it from UV fade I hope this is a heads up for you to consider it in your car care. It looks pretty stupid faded out.

CJ_Boxster 11-19-2007 09:21 AM

Mines isnt garaged either and its ok, Only issue i have is when water sprinklers wet the body, they tend to leave hard to remove water spots.

cfos 11-19-2007 09:48 AM

Like everyone else has said, you should be fine without the garage. If you are concerned, ask yourself: What do the dealers do when the weather is bad? I don't think they have enough room to shove all the cars under one roof...

djomlas 11-19-2007 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Mines isnt garaged either and its ok, Only issue i have is when water sprinklers wet the body, they tend to leave hard to remove water spots.

or your headlight dissapear, but thats minor :D

CJ_Boxster 11-19-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
or your headlight dissapear, but thats minor :D

Ah yes, how soon i forget lol

Perfectlap 11-19-2007 12:33 PM

btw, if you do end up buying the Boxster, I would *not* recommend washing it an automatic car wash or a hand car wash every time you decide to clean it.
That will wreck the paint more than leaving it out in the elements.
Try this instead, they're using QEW but most people like ONR

Hose Free Car washing

djomlas 11-19-2007 02:01 PM

how many washes can get get out of the 32oz bottle?

Perfectlap 11-19-2007 02:50 PM

Hmm I dont know about the 32, I went right for the big ole gallon sized since I use it as quick detailer too.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/optcollage1.jpg
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/optcollage2.jpg
But 32 should be good for at least sixteen washes. I believe your supposed to use 1 ounce for 2 gallons of water. But I always use at least 2 ounces to play it safe.

here's a great waffle weave towel for drying after a No Rinse wash. The threads don't snag like most waffle weave drying towels I've used. Their silk bind mega towels are good too. These guys always toss in an extra towel with an order of $50 or more. The 12 pack is a good deal, I try never to pay more than $4 per towel for a high end paint towel. The wheels, glass and interior get the cheaper towels.
http://poorboysworld.com/microfiber.htm

edevlin 11-19-2007 05:47 PM

"I agree with racer_d. I live in central VA, and don't have a garage. My first Boxster was fine, and I'm having no problems keeping my second Boxster maintained. We haven't seen much of any bad weather here in central VA for years, except for the major flood that hit downtown years ago. I wouldn't stress it to be honest with you as long as you care for it on a regular basis."

Ditto, my boxster lived outdoors for almost a year in Central Virginia and it did fine. BTW HB, where are you located, I am just outside Farmville,

Ed :cheers:

nola911 11-19-2007 07:32 PM

Down here where the weather is unpredictable and often gets nasty, I wouldn't be able to keep my black car outside. I go crazy if I leave it out overnight and the dust finds it.

funster 11-19-2007 07:50 PM

I live in western Michigan and have a carport which works well for the elements but is useless against cats. My carport is like a garage with open ends, but they make some portable carports which might work for you if you have a dedicated parking space and if it would be allowed by your cond assocation. I think you should buy it because these cars are too much fun not to own.

nola911 11-19-2007 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funster
I think you should buy it because these cars are too much fun not to own.

WITHOUT A DOUBT! The funster is dead on. I would love the car the same it if it didn't have any paint left on it, was covered in cat hair, and the top didn't even exist. It is truly is way too fun to not own.

If you are on the fence about the boxster, test drive it again in a place where you can really run it.