Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #1

Garage
Need advice helping a friend buy a used 987

A good friend has decided to buy his first Porsche--an 06S--and was able to located a nice car in the SW. Originally sticker at $65K, the car has lots of goodies--adpt. sports seats. PASM, Bose, etc.... . It has 12K miles and seems fairly priced at $49K.

What sems odd is the car's history , which turned up through CARFAX. Sold in the mid-atlantic states in early 06, it was sold back to the original dealer 9 months later, then sold at auction 3 months later and ended up in FL. Stayed there for 2 months and then ended up at a leasing company in the SW. No accidents were listed in the report, BTW.

To me it seems a bit strange the dealer would auction a car he could easily CPO ; my first thought was a lemoned car or one that had been in an accident.

Would this type of car history automatically indicate a damaged or lemoned car or is this type of "travel" just typical of how the car business works these days?

Thanks for any help.

MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
could be that the owner went trough some money problems and sold it back to the same place where he bought it.
you can call and ask the dealer
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #3

Mike:

I am pretty sure that they have to disclose a lemon car with a notation of some kind on the title. I think it is called a branded title. I think you can tell because at some point the manufature has to retake possesion of the car and then resell it, usually through a high volume dealer or auction house. I don't think that you have much to worry about. Sounds like the car was traded in and the dealer just offed it. Lots of dealers don't like to be bothered with trades. I think they all like to keep their lots fresh so if it doesn't sell in 60 or 90 days off it goes...

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #4

Garage
der Giest...

Hope you're doing well. Been down to Mid-OH this year? My better half and I tried twice--only to get rain at both events.
We'll have to get another meeting of the NE OH club together--take care.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:58 AM   #5

Mike:

I am doing great-I hope you and your wife are doing as well. I had a pretty good year. Twice at mid ohio, once at nelson ledges and and even got a chance to try an auto cross. Got the bug for that as well but time is always at a premium. We got really lucky at mid ohio. Both times were picture perfect days. I guess even us Clevelanders deserve some sunshine once in a while...

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote