986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Power Steering Leak??? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14217)

JESSENERICA 11-15-2007 08:32 PM

Power Steering Leak???

If Someone Has Encountered This Problem, Please Help!my 02'boxster Had Serious Leak So I Took It To A Mechanic And He Replaced The Power Steering Pump And Reservoir,however When He Replaced It The Car Was On For A Few Minutes And Then It Started Making A Weird Noise And It Caused A Piece From The Reservoir That Goes Connected To The Pump Its Like ( A Seal) To Melt And It Started To Leak All The Power Steering Fluid Out. I Purchased Another One And It Happened Again!what Should I Do??
Is This Issue Related To The Rack And Pinion??

Sboxin 11-16-2007 04:28 AM

We could use a little more info on your problem -- where exactly is the leak, at the pump or at the front of the car?
Did you have noise or hard steering before the leak?
What mechanic has worked on your car - dealer, Porsche specialty independent, or other type?
Did they show you the failed seal -- is it red plastic or black rubber?

There are several seals on the pump and there are 2 reservoirs.
Heat causes the red plastic clamp/seal to melt and leak.
But, high pressure from a failed rack and pinion unit could blowout other seals on the connecting pipes and/or the pump.

Since heat doesn't seem to be the cause then the rack and pinion unit or a valve may be the real cause.

There are few people that have had rack failures, and they may have better info for you. I have only delt with the red plastic clip failure.

:cheers:

easyc 11-16-2007 10:33 AM

Did you track the car hard between the first and second melting of the red piece? Usually it melts due to return line heat from tracking the car really hard...

Paul 11-17-2007 06:37 PM

What was used to refill the system?

husker boxster 11-18-2007 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
What was used to refill the system?

Good question and the reason Paul asks is because Porsches do not use garden variety power steering fluid. Porsche recommends Pentosin CHF 11S fluid. Regular ps fluid and Pentosin do not mix.

Better ask you mechanic what he used.

Paul 11-18-2007 06:06 AM

Yes regular PS fluid will turn rubber seals into goo.

wvicary 11-18-2007 06:10 AM

It sounds like the tech didn't remove the blanking plugs from the new pump when he installed it so no fluid was getting into the pump and it burnt out. There is a cheap P/S fluid thats mixable with 11S but I can't remember the Pentosen(sp?) number.