986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What to see/do going cross country from LA to Miami? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14191)

kavlono 11-14-2007 05:09 PM

What to see/do going cross country from LA to Miami?

I am going to be driving cross country from Los Angeles to Miami Florida next week. I will be taking Interstate 10 going there. I have two weeks to get there so I have plenty of time for sightseeing. What are the must sees along the way and the must avoids (I already know about New Orleans)
I want all your recommendations.

funster 11-14-2007 06:28 PM

I reccommend charting yourself a backroads adventure and avoiding the freeway as much as you are comfortable. Try to find twisty scenic routes and fun little towns. People in out of the way places seem to really appreciate boxsters and freeways are really boring. And then there's all that buisness of games people play on the freeway, what's that about? You know people trying to prevent you from changing lanes, trying to race you all the time, and various other assertions of power and position. I say make it a fun trip to remember.

David N. 11-14-2007 07:05 PM

The 10 is absolutely boring LA to Texas. I recommend at least taking the I-40 for that leg, it only adds maybe a couple hours to the overall trip, but the scenery is so much better.

Topless 11-14-2007 09:54 PM

Take Route 66 where you can for a slice of automotive history, Grand Canyon (must see), Santa Fe NM (cool). Austin TX still has a great music scene. Take lots of pictures.

When you get to New Orleans you could retrace the route the Top Gear crew used through the deep south into Florida... maybe paint "Hillary for President" and "Nascar Sucks" on your car for added excitement. It worked pretty well for those guys. :eek:

It should be a great trip. I have been as far as Houston several times but never into Louisiana. Enjoy!

CJ_Boxster 11-14-2007 10:11 PM

i recommend buying a roll of blue painters tape and masking your front bumper and hood to protect you from chips from stones and other road debris.

Sboxin 11-15-2007 03:04 AM

Agree on I-40 thru Arizona and NM
Definately see the Grand Canyon in AZ
Santa Fe and Taos are must see also...
There are good scenic and fun roads around both of these locations
Agree on rock protection - tape in a pinch, but Bra is better

For me I would then go from Alb to Dallas to Austin to Houston...etc...
But, The route thu OK and Ark is also good and scenic

There are many routes to take on a trip like this, and they all are fun --- ask easy rider...

Give us a trip report when you finish and have time,

miles 11-15-2007 06:36 AM

I40 is definitely the better choice. Get off I40 in Topock and take the Rout 66. You may see a shotout at noon time. Grand Canyon is a 'must'. But take the time to see the slot canyons in Antlope Canyon. If you have enough time, try to see Canyon Lands and take the ride at the conyon ground as well as the one that leads the top of the plateau. Arches NP is very close. Stop in Mesa Verde.

Here are some picture of some of the places flickr.com/photos/fpajonk

der Geist 11-15-2007 07:54 AM

I agree with everyone else here. Take Rout 66 wherever you can and I40 where there is no more Route 66. Check www.historic66.com for loads of great info including GPS downloads. Highly recommended. I just did LA to Cleveland a few months back and did Route 66 most of the way. It was a really great experience and a great way to see the country. There is even a restaraunt in OK (I think) called the Rock City Cafe. The gal who runs it was the inspiration for the Sally Carrera character in Cars. You can't miss her place-it's the one with all the plywood Porsches out front.

things not to miss on route 66/I40
Petrified Forest
Painted Desert
Caddillac Ranch
Tons of roadside Kitchy tourist traps.
Stay at the teepee Motel (Made of concrete teepees)
Blue Swan Motel
And don't miss the Mexican food in Tucumcari!!!
Make sure and take a camera. You will be glad you did.

Oh-yeah-don't speed through Texas.

Miles-Those photos are incredible! What kind of camera/lens are you using? Are you a professional photographer?

Topless 11-15-2007 08:57 AM

Miles,

Wow!

No....wait... WOW!!

miles 11-15-2007 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by der Geist
Miles-Those photos are incredible! What kind of camera/lens are you using? Are you a professional photographer?

No I'm just a bloody amateur with a Nikon D70s. You can hardly take bad pictures in most of these places. But I'm glad you guys like them. To me this boxster land

bmussatti 11-15-2007 05:26 PM

Get a GPS before you leave, like a Garmin.

kavlono 11-15-2007 05:34 PM

This is great information and great pictures. I already did Route 66 on a Harley from San Diego To Milwaukee a few years back with about 5000 other Harleys. It was great. WE took over towns.
I have my Garmin 250W ($300 at Costco on sale) and it is all programed. I am ready to go Tuesday.
Thansk again for the info!!!!!!!!!!!

baseball 11-15-2007 06:05 PM

miles, you should consider becoming a professional photographer - those pics are incredible.

I don't want to derail this thread, but can you tell my what lens you use with the Nikon D70s?

Topless 11-15-2007 09:22 PM

Kavlono,

Hey we tried our best. If you have already done Route 66/ I-40 and you are going on the I-10 this time it will be faster. Just take No Doze cause it is flat boring all the way to Tx.

nola911 11-16-2007 03:36 AM

I would like to hear an outsiders opinion, why is new orleans a must avoid?