986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear Fog Lights (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14178)

dkichenside 11-14-2007 07:45 AM

Rear Fog Lights

I know that supposedly only the driver side rear fog light is suppose to work. But, does anybody know a quick way of making both sides work?

bmussatti 11-14-2007 08:12 AM

dkichenside, it can be done, but IMHO I think this is a dangerous choice. The drivers behind you will think your brakes are being applied.

Padawan 11-14-2007 08:12 AM

I think the easiest way would be to run a wire from the driver's side fog lamp into the passenger side tail lamp connector at the proper pin location.

I think you're better off just leaving it the way it is though.

djomlas 11-14-2007 08:39 AM

yeah leave it as is.
btw, fog lights on these cars suck, they point out sideways, very weird

Padawan 11-14-2007 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
yeah leave it as is.
btw, fog lights on these cars suck, they point out sideways, very weird

That's the way fog lamps should be. They are intended to produce a relatively short, low, and wide beam pattern. As far as factory fog lamps go, the 986's actually are pretty decent.

Here's a small graphical depiction:

http://www.kchilites.com/images/beam_patterns.gif

Gary in BR 11-14-2007 09:17 AM

At one time I had my fog lights hooked up to my brake lights. When I hit the brakes the normal light lit up along with the rear fogs on both sides.

I found the hack on RennTech.

If any one is interested I will look for the thread.

Gary in BR 11-14-2007 01:08 PM

After allot of PMs I searched and found the link on the fog light hack.

These direction show how to make the fog lights act as taillights. The difference is I wired them directly to the brake lights instead of the tail lights.

I ran this setup for about 8 months before I put some fancy (high wattage) bulbs in the housing and in a few hours I melted my lenses.

FrayAdjacent 11-14-2007 08:32 PM

Make both work? Yeah - step on your brakes.

Sammy 11-15-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkichenside
I know that supposedly only the driver side rear fog light is suppose to work. But, does anybody know a quick way of making both sides work?

The ironic thing is that not much after I thought to myself "who in the he!! decided a rear fog light made sense?" we ended up using them during our Tail of the Dragon trip. Thank the good lord for rear foglights!!! We were following a pack of Mini Coopers in the mountains (very foggy from the rain) and could barely see them a few feet in front of us; however, I could see every single rear foglight from the Boxsters I was following.

:cheers:

squeak 11-15-2007 11:19 PM

So weird reading some of these replies about rear fogs. As a Scotsman now living in the US, I was shocked and stunned when I picked up my first US spec car and on one long foggy trip, discovered to my dismay that there were no rear fogs. My wife (American) looked at me like I was crazy, "rear fog lights...what are they?"

Every car I have owned over the years has had two rear fogs and most have had front fogs also. When I was stationed in Germany with the Royal Air Force, it was the same there. The "legal requirement" was for one rear fog, but two was also acceptable for both BFG and TUV standards.

When driving in foggy/bad weather conditions, rear fogs are an absolute God send! Safety first and all that jazz. If someone behind you thinks your brake lights are on, then they are a) an idiot, b) too frikin close! The only annoyance factor is when you get the other type of idiot on the road who "forgets" to turn off the fog lights...SOOOOO hard to work out what that funny little light on the dash means.

Cheers, Gord.

John V 11-16-2007 03:56 AM

The problem is that Americans get into a car and push every buttong to turn on every freaking light the thing has installed. So you have people driving around in the middle of the night with their foglights on and their headlights off. :rolleyes:

miles 11-16-2007 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V
The problem is that Americans get into a car and push every buttong to turn on every freaking light the thing has installed. So you have people driving around in the middle of the night with their foglights on and their headlights off. :rolleyes:

In LA you're sometimes lucky if they at least turn on the fog lights. Often enough they wouldn't even do that!

But I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble finding a switch for the rear fog light in SoCal Boxster.