Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2007, 07:23 PM   #1

Front cowl water drains

Hi, I have a '98 Boxster.

after a big rain i noticed water sloshing around in the front cowl. The drains were plugged and I blew them out with compressed air. I had a piece of rubber stuck in the main middle one, and in trying to get it out I pushed the rubber drain through its hole and it fell into the compartment below.
I cannot retrieve it.
Is that compartment accessible?
Will leaving that middle drain innoperative and just having an open hole in the cowl sheet steel floor cause a rust problem? Water did seem to drain out of the car when I poured some in the hole.

I would like to reinstall that drain but not sure how to start. has anyone done that.?

Thanks. Bob

robert scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:43 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Can you take a picture of the 'cowl' you are referring to?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i must have messed with one of those for 5 hrs, you can it from under the car, just have to find it.
it is connected to a little plastic tube that exits in the fender well, and they are attached on the inside, pretty much impossible to connect.
i ran a different hose up to the rubber drain and connected them, pured some water, it exited out, problem solved.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #4

Hi Blinkwatt,
I can take a picture, but the cowl I refer to is the area where the battery is; you remove the 2 plastic covers on either side of the battery and you access the area.
The drain I pushed through is the "middle one", just a bit on the driver side of the battery, in the "floor of the cowl.

I was wondering if this area was accessible from under the car if you removed the plastic flat panel running under the center of the car. Someone you may have reaassembled this car may know. I just don't know the body panel configuration on this car.
Thanks, Bob
robert scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:41 PM   #5

Years ago a guy on one of the UK message boards dropped the battery clamp bolt down one of the drain holes. I forget how he got it out.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote